Thursday, June 21, 2012

Revenants #1: Die for Me Review

Title: Revenants Trilogy #1: Die for Me

Author: Amy Plum

Date of Publication: May 10, 2011

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Kate, who recently lost both her parents in a car accident, goes to live with her grandparents in France. Having a hard time coping Kate spends her days reading at a cafe and eventually meets Vincent. Vincent is gorgeous, turning heads wherever he goes, and seems to have an interest in Kate. As she begins to spend more time with Vincent she learns that he is a Revenant, a person who has come back to life after sacrificing his life for someone else. Vincent and his friends are trapped an age old battle with another kind of Revenants, who focus on murder and destruction. Kate soon gets sucked into their world, whether she wants to or not.

My Review:


I didn't like this book, but i didn't necessarily dislike it either. The plot and the idea of Revenants was very original, I liked Vincent and Kate's characters well enough though they both were annoying in their own ways. I really enjoyed the characters of Charles and Charlotte, they were easily my favorite characters, and Ambrose and Jules were both very enjoyable. However, the story drags and frankly I found this book a bit boring.


One of the major aspects of this book that annoyed me, was the amazingly fast romance. I cannot stand it when characters fall in love within the first two or three times they meet, before you know whats happened Vincent and Kate are sitting there  saying they love each other when really, they hardly know each other. Not to mention the cheesy dialogue, which I believe was supposed to sound old fashioned since Vincent was born in the 1920's but ended up just sounding awkward. Then there's the whole stalking angle, which apparently is part of being a revenant, but its still creepy.


Other than the romance this book wasn't bad, the climax was exciting, if not slightly predictable. Kate and Vincent are constantly breaking up and getting back together again, however it didn't particularly annoy me. While researching this book I read several reviews complaining about Kate being whiny and having low self confidence. However I think the author was justified in making Kate this way, she just lost both her parents and is living in a foreign country, I don't know anyone who wouldn't have low self confidence after going through something as traumatic as that.


I think I'm going to have to read the next one before I can place final judgement on this series but so far I believe its a bit of a "meh" series. Its okay but I don't really understand what all the hype is about.


3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment