Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Delirium Review

Title: Delirium

Author: Lauren Oliver

Date of Publication: August 2, 2011

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Synopsis: Sixty-four years ago the government determined love as a disease, twenty-one years later they discovered a cure. Seventeen year old Lena only has ninety-five more days until she turns eighteen and can receive the cure. After her mother committed suicide, a supposed side effect of love, Lena has been eagerly awaiting the day she can be cured. She never thought she would follow in her mother's footsteps and fall in love, then she meets Alex. Alex is an Invalid, a person living in the Wilds who never receives the cure. As she spends more time with Alex Lena begins to realize that love isn't the horrible thing she's been led to believe.

My Review:


I started Delirium with high expectations; I had heard wonderful things about Lauren Oliver and was excited to see for myself what all the hype was about. Delirium was one of the most fantastic novels I've ever read, it surpassed my expectations in every way and as I read the last page I found myself disappointed that it was over. From Oliver's beautiful writing to the characters vivid emotions I loved this book more and more with each passing page.


Lena was an outstanding character, she starts off as a timid girl who wants nothing more than to follow the rules the government has put in place but as the story goes on she grows into a confident woman who starts to think for herself. As she learns more about the lies the government has fed her she begins to question the life she has always led. Lena's relationship with Alex was sweet and their devotion to each other was endearing, the final pages of the book were heart-wrenching but beautiful at the same time.


I loved the story and the setting, Oliver described the scenery enough for me to picture it clearly in my mind but not so much that it bogged down the story. The mark of a truly good writer is the ability to have the reader feel the characters emotions right along with them, Oliver achieved this perfectly. Throughout the entire story I felt a connection with Lena and Alex as I felt their anger, sadness, and most of all love, right along with them.


Delirium by Lauren Oliver is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Full of raw emotion, love and sacrifice, and vivid imagery I could not put this book down. Delirium is one of those books that stick with you long after you turn the last page and leaves you thinking for days to come.


5/5


2 comments:

  1. Another great review. I can't stand most YA, but the way you explained this novel made it appealing even to me! Next time I need to read a good love story I might be picking this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your review! Delirium is #1 on my increasing long "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete