Sunday, September 9, 2012

Nightshade Review

Title: Nightshade

Author: Andrea Cremer

Date of Publication: October 19, 2010

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Synopsis: Ever since they were little Call and Ren have known it was their destiny to mate with each other, neither of them questioning the orders of the Keepers, the powerful creatures the rule over werewolves and their packs. When Calla rescues Shay, human boy, from a raging grizzly bear she knows she has broken the strict rules that tie her pack to the Keepers, and she will have to pay the price. Calla is shocked when Shay transfers to her school and seems to remember exactly what happened that fateful night. When Logan, the Keeper in charge of the new pack Calla and Ren are in control of, tells Calla to keep an eye on Shay she and Shay become closer than she ever thought they would. As Calla begins to fall in love with Shay she learns secrets that lead her to question the rules and principles she has always believed in.

My Review:


While not as good as the first novel I read by Cremer, Rift, I really enjoyed Nightshade. An interesting and original take on werewolves this novel is one of the better werewolf books I've read lately. While it is very obviously a first novel I really enjoyed the story line and the characters and have high hopes for liking the rest of the series!


Calla was a great character, she's not perfect but as she struggles over her duty and the truths she discovers about the world she has always known she makes hard decisions and follows through without the whining and complaining that seems to be popular in teen fiction. The love triangle between Calla, Ren, and Shay added an interesting dynamic to the story. Even though I didn't immediately like Shay I warmed up to him (even though I like Ren more!) and the tension between Ren and Shay was a huge focus in the novel.


I loved the fast pace, Cremer has a great talent for moving things along quickly but still giving you a chance to catch your breath between events. Even though the story focused more on the love triangle than action, something that usually annoys me, I didn't find myself frustrated at all. I'm excited to learn more about the Searchers in the next book, sworn enemies of the Keepers I can't wait to see what happens now that they have more of an upper hand!


A great first novel Cremer has a lot of talent, from her fascinating characters to the intriguing world she creates. I loved this book and would definitely recommend it to fans of the teen paranormal genre.


4/5


1 comment:

  1. This trilogy has been on my wishlist for while now. I seriously need to buy the first book and read it. It sounds very good and I do like werewolf stories. Great review.

    ReplyDelete