Monday, March 25, 2013

Shatter Me #2: Unravel Me Review

unravel meTitle: Shatter Me #2: Unravel Me

Author: Tahereh Mafi

Date of Publication: February 5, 2013

Formats Available: Hardcover, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: tick
tick
tick
tick
tick

it's almost time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.

My Review:

Unravel Me was everything I dreamed it would be and more. Haunting and lyrical I could hardly put this book down as I frantically read, desperate to find out what would happen next. With an amazing cast of characters and Mafi's fantastic writing this book was absolutely impossible to get out of my mind, there were parts I read over and over again just because they were so hauntingly beautiful.

I absolutely adore Mafi's writing. Haunting and desperate she perfectly portrays Juliette and the self-loathing she feels for herself. With crossed out words, broken sentences, and repeated words it was easy to get lost in the depths of Juliette's mind and truly understand what she's going through as she struggles to quell the monster she believes is inside of her. With short chapters full of passionate writing Unravel Me is choppy and beautiful at the same time, perfectly suiting the dystopian world Mafi has created.

Warner played a huge role in this novel and I was surprised to find myself liking him more and more as the novel moved along. Vulnerable yet cold-hearted it was easy to begin to feel sympathetic for him and the events that caused him to be so cruel. By the end even I was questioning whether I liked him or Adam better. Warner has something about him that makes me want to believe he can be different. It's obvious that he loves Juliette and in the end I was just as confused as she was over whether or not to love him.

Juliette is a perfect protagonist for the world Mafi has created. Broken but strong in her own way Juliette fits in perfectly with the cast of ostracized characters. I loved the development of her devastating powers in this novel. Her powers have always been one of my favorite parts of the story and Unravel Me really showcases the true extent of what her powers entail.

An all-around fantastic YA series full of wonderful writing and perfectly developed characters the Shatter Me series is not a series that you're going to want to miss! I highly recommend Shatter Me as well as Unravel Me to all fans of dystopian and paranormal fiction, young adult and adult alike!

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment