Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Bloodlines #3: The Indigo Spell Review

the indigo spellTitle: Bloodlines #3: The Indigo Spell

Author: Richelle Mead

Date of Publication: February 12, 2013

Formats Available: Hardcover, E-Book

Buy This BookAmazon

Synopsis: In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood.

My Review:

Richelle Mead has been a long time favorite author of mine and I always eagerly anticipate every new novel by her. The Bloodlines series has proved to be one of my absolute favorites by her (maybe even more so than Vampire Academy, but I'm still on the fence...) and I can't help but love this series more and more with each novel!

I'm not  going to lie, one of the biggest reasons I love the Bloodlines series as much as I do is because of Adrian. When I read the synopsis of The Indigo Spell I was worried that there might be another love triangle involving Sydney trying to run from her feelings for Adrian but thankfully Marcus played a small role in the novel and was more of a friend than a love interest. Adrian is one of my most favorite fictional characters of all time and he had some of the most amazing quotes in this novel. Between his hilarious nicknames for Sydney when he's posing as "Jet" and his steadfast love for her I couldn't help but fall in love with him a little more every time I turned the page.

I really loved the development of Sydney's magic in this novel. Between fantastic spells and the guidance of her teacher, Sydney begins to accept magic as a part of her life and really begin to use to her advantage. With a hilarious scene involving a summoned dragon who imprints on Sydney and Adrian as its parents and their "joint custody" agreements, as well as numerous trips to Pies and Stuff I have a feeling Sydney's magic has many more funny moments in store in coming novels! With a fantastic magical plot and a heart stopping ending The Indigo Spell blew me away.

Even though I absolutely adored this book I was a little frustrated by Sydney's constant back and forth attitude toward Adrian. Even though it all worked out in the end I was constantly screaming at her in my mind to finally accept her feelings and get together with Adrian. Even though it annoyed me just a little bit in the end it worked for the story and made the moments between Sydney and Adrian even more special and swoon worthy.

With a horrible cliffhanger ending that leaves me absolutely DYING for the next novel, The Indigo Spell most definitely lived up to all of my expectation and even surpassed some of them! Full of fantastic characters, plenty of romance, and quite honestly the perfect bad boy love interest this series will NOT disappoint to fans of Mead and Vampire Academy!

5/5

2 comments:

  1. Excellent review Danielle! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, I always get so annoyed with Sydney's prudeness in each Bloodlines novel but looking forward to the magic development here. Love Richelle Mead as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hopefully in the next one there will be more chemistry between Sydney and Adrian:)

    ReplyDelete