Monday, April 22, 2013

Review: The Duke Is Mine

the duke is mineTitle: The Duke is Mine (Fairy Tales Series)

Author: Eloisa James

Date of Publication: December 27, 2011

Formats Available: Paperback, E-Book

Buy This BookAmazon

Synopsis: He is a duke in search of a perfect bride.

She is a lady--but a long way from perfect.

Tarquin, the powerful Duke of Sconce, knows perfectly well that the decorous and fashionably slender Georgiana Lytton will make him a proper duchess. So why can't he stop thinking about her twin sister, the curvy, headstrong, and altogether unconventional Olivia? Not only is Olivia betrothed to another man, but their improper, albeit intoxicating, flirtation makes her unsuitability all the more clear.

Determined to make a perfect match, he methodically cuts Olivia from his thoughts, allowing logic and duty to triumph over passion...Until, in his darkest hour, Quin begins to question whether perfection has anything to do with love.

To win Olivia's hand he would have to give up all the beliefs he holds most dear, and surrender heart, body and soul...

Unless it's already too late.

My Review:

After reading one wonderful book and one horrible book by Eloisa James I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started this novel. Happily I found myself completely engrossed in the novel and ended up really liking all the characters. James does an amazing job at making her romance novels have more of a plot than just switching between two characters as they think about each other.

After a bit of a slow start I was able to easily get into the novel and soon found myself laughing out loud at some of Olivia's antics. I really loved Olivia's character, full of hilarious puns and unsophisticated jokes her complete disregard for social standards kept me smiling the whole way through. Olivia was the complete opposite of Quin and because of that they complimented each other perfectly. Throughout the entire novel I was holding my breath, waiting for them to realize their feelings for each other and defy Quin's mother.

For a historical novel The Duke Is Mine had a stronger and more exciting plot than I had anticipated. Quin and his past were shrouded in a bit of a mystery and the side story about Rupert looking to achieve military prowess were both interesting enough to keep me entertained when there wasn't any romance going on. The ending, while exciting, had a few things that I didn't particularly like but overall was a good conclusion to the story.

Each of the books in James's Fairy Tale series focuses on a different fairy tale, this time it was The Princess and the Pea. While it worked very well for the first part of the novel toward the end it felt like James was desperate to incorporate more of the fable, leading to a ridiculous scene that involved fifteen mattresses and a key. It didn't necessarily make me dislike the novel but I was a little taken back at how cheesy it ended up making the story.

All in all I would say that fans of James and of historical romance will be very satisfied with this novel. Despite the slow start this novel really takes off and by the end the exciting plot had completely towed me in.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment