Monday, May 13, 2013

Review: A Flower Shop Mystery #1: Mum's the Word

Title: A Flower Shop Mystery #1: Mum's the Word

Author: Kate Collins

Date of Publication: November 2, 2004

Formats Available: Paperback, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: I don't mean to meddle, honest! But can I help it if my nose for injustice is as keen as my green thumb? Now I, Abby Knight, law school dropout, am the proud new owner of Bloomers, my hometown flower shop. I'm devoted to making my business grow, but I'm no shrinking violet if someone needs my help to right a wrong -- even if that person is already dead....

So maybe Abby's life isn't the bed of roses she was hoping it would be. She adores her job, but a new low-cost competitor is killing her profits - and a black SUV just rammed her vintage Corvette in a hit and run. Determined to track down the driver, she accepts the help of hunky ex-cop Marco Salvare. But their budding relationship is threatened when the trail turns deadly. Now Abby is caught in a tangle of menacing phone calls, police corruption, and murderous road rage. If she's not careful, the next flower arrangement might be for her own funeral.
My Review:

I grew up reading mysteries but as I got older I found myself moving into different genre's and forgetting about how much I love nothing more than a good mystery. Mum's the Word was a cute and fun mystery with a witty heroine, a handsome love interest, and plenty of lighthearted action to keep me turning pages. A fast, uncomplicated read I heartily enjoyed my expedition back into the mystery genre.

Mum's the Word was pure fun. The plot wasn't very complicated, and at times predictable, but I liked not having to think too hard and just sit back and watch what happened. I absolutely loved the flower shop setting as well as Abby's coworkers and the owner of the bar across the street, Marco. Abby was a hilarious character and I absolutely loved the interactions between her and her "perfect" family.

One of the best parts about the novel had to be Marco and I'm not going to lie he was HOT. Even though he doesn't play a huge role in the novel he was one of my favorite characters and I always looked forward to the parts with him in it. Even though the romance between him and Abby felt a little bit rushed at the end I still enjoyed watching their developing relationship. Another one of my favorite characters was Tony; hilariously sleazy I couldn't help but laugh out loud at his trademark finger pistol.

One of the things I dislike most about mysteries is how meddlesome the main character always is. Abby definitely stuck her nose where it didn't belong but in the end I liked her so much that I was able to overlook it. Likewise the predictability of the plot was a bit tedious at times but overall I don't think it made a big impact on how much I liked the book, it was more about the road there than the destination.

Those on the lookout for a cute and lighthearted mystery should definitely check out the first book in the Flower Shop Mystery series. With fun characters and an enjoyable story line I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment