Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: Unearthly #2: Hallowed

Title: Unearthly #2: Hallowed

Author: Cynthia Hand

Date of Publication: January 17, 2012

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.

Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

In this compelling sequel to Unearthly, Cynthia Hand captures the joy of first love, the anguish of loss, and the confusion of becoming who you are.

My Review:

I had been a little wary about starting this series but after I ended up really enjoying the first one I was eager to read the second one. However, Hallowed turned out to be a duller and less exciting read than I had anticipated, especially after how much the first one had surprised me. Even though I didn't necessarily dislike Hallowed I was really unimpressed by what it offered to the series.

Even though there were a few twists and turns I didn't see coming I was really frustrated by Hallowed. Throughout most of the novel I was bored and even though I know it was necessary for the story the whole novel was dedicated to building up for the final book in the series. I felt like Hand was so focused on setting up for the third book that she forgot to include some action and excitement in the second to keep readers interested in what was happening.

Likewise I was frustrated by the development of a love triangle. I never met anyone who enjoys love triangles so I don't really know why authors always insist on using them. Throughout the entire novel Clara was whining about which boy she should be with, Tucker or Christian. Honestly, toward the end both boys were annoying me merely because I had to listen to Clara whine about who she liked better the entire novel.

I will say that the end did pick up and I found myself becoming more interested in the story. Clara did find out a lot of interesting things about her role as an angel and a few of the plot twists were complete surprises. But the few interesting parts just didn't make up for all the parts that annoyed me. It looks like the third book is going to have a fantastic finish, especially after all the setting up Hand did, but it was a bit of a dull road getting there.

I wouldn't completely rule out the Unearthly series, and I'm invested enough to read the final one, but this novel was a big letdown for me. I really wanted to like it but in the end it turned into a bit of a "meh" book for me. I didn't really mind it but I didn't get excited by it either.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment