Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: The Demon Rolmar

Title: The Demon Rolmar

Author: A. V. Griffin

Date of Publication: April 2, 2013

Formats Available: Paperback, E- book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Rolmar is a heartless, misanthropic demon who serves as one of the three overlords of Pentar, a planet in the Amenis dimension. When Rolmar’s brethren bestow upon him the illustrious task of destroying Earth, his growing curiosity of humans adds a momentary pause to his original plan. Still intent on annihilating Earth, Rolmar extends his stay in order to discover what makes humanity unique. However, when Adam, a quirky college student, crosses paths with the all-powerful demon, one fateful night will change his life forever. Haunted by nightmares of his mind-blowing encounter, Adam can’t return to his normal life. His only path to solace is attempting to convince the demon that Earth is worth saving. With the fate of the world on their shoulders, will Adam and his friends be able to convince Rolmar that they and all of mankind should be spared?

My Review:

I wasn't sure what to think when I started reading The Demon Rolmar; I'm not generally a fan of novellas or short stories but since I loved fantasy so much as a kid I was willing to give this one a shot. Fun and entertaining I really enjoyed the fantasy and science fiction elements and the story was entertaining without being too out there or hard to understand. Griffin had the perfect balance of fantasy and reality, one thing I always love to see in fantasy novels.

I really enjoyed the amount of creativity Griffin put into The Demon Rolmar. With demon rituals, different planets, shape shifting, and numerous other fun quirks this novel was full of everything that makes science fiction and fantasy fun to read. I could tell that Griffin really loved these genres and her passion showed through her writing, making parts of the novel, such as the carnival scene, so much fun to read.

There were a few parts of this novel I did have a little trouble understanding, such as the part with the children Hilary and Nat. I didn't see what their point was in the story and I didn't know why Rolmar found them. However, these few scenes didn't take away from the overall feel of the story even though they didn't make much sense. Despite it all The Demon of Rolmar was still a fun novel and I really enjoyed watching the events unfold and seeing what the characters would do next.

Even though Rolmar was a fairly developed character I felt like some of the other main characters, like Adam and Linda, were lacking enough personality to make them really feel real and I really would have loved to see more character development. Throughout the novel I felt like I hardly knew who the characters were and that I was a stranger watching them from a distance. Novellas are always hard ones for character development because of the length and Griffin did a very good job developing Rolmar, I just wish all the characters had been as developed as him.

In the end pre-teen and young adult fans of fantasy will no doubt love this novel and older readers may be a little frustrated by the lack of character development or the confusing events. Griffin did a great job for a first novel and I can see the potential in her to do great things in coming books!

3/5

*I received a copy of this novel from the author/publisher/publicist in exchange for a free and honest review. I received no monetary compensation for this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment