This week's Top Ten Tuesday is about topics that make me not want to pick up a book! To find out how to do Top Ten Tuesday check out the Broke and Bookish!
1. Love Triangles - This is the one I hate the most and the one that I usually end up reading anyway. I never like love triangles but I try not to let them scare me off of a book that I might end up loving, besides they're so common it's nearly impossible to get away from them!
2.Christian Fiction/Religious - I have nothing against religion but if I wanted to be preached at I would go to church. So often with Christian fiction I feel like the author's main focus is trying to get their message across instead of telling a story.
3. No Romance - I love romance novels and if a book doesn't have a hint of romance I'm not likely to pick it up (sad but true).
4. Main characters who have children - I love kids, I'm even going to school for early childhood education, but being as young as I am I have a hard time relating to characters who already have children.
5. Super Young Characters - Just like with the above I have a hard time relating to characters much younger than me, I've already been there done that but I just can't make myself interested in a fifteen year old girls drama.
6. Pop Culture References - If there is one thing I HATE it is the name Justin Bieber in any sort of writing that is meant to be taken seriously.
7. Famous Main Characters - Similar to the above I can't stand books that center on famous main characters. I just can't take them and their problems seriously, plus most of the time their problems center around not having the guy they want or the latest Gucci handbag.
8. Non-Fiction - Maybe I'm just not reading the right stuff but even when I try to read non fiction on something I think I'm interested in I fall asleep.
9. Free Verse - I have read some really good books that are in verse but it's not one of the things I'm particularly fond of. Every once and awhile I feel like it but for the most part I try to avoid books written in verse.
10. Classics - Classics fall somewhere in the middle for me. I have read some that I really enjoyed (Pride and Prejudice!) but most of them I've really hated (sorry to anyone who is in love with All Quiet on the Western Front). Everyone once and awhile I feel like reading something that doesn't involve a shirtless man on the cover but that's not very often.
Leave a comment telling me what your Top Ten book turn offs are!