Friday, September 20, 2013

Review: Catch of the Day

Title: Catch of the Day

Author: Kristan Higgins

Date of Publication: October 1, 2007

Formats Available: Paperback

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: What's the market price on a decent guy these days?

Maggie Beaumont's luck is about to change. Sure, she's known for her bad romantic choices—her former boyfriend broke up with her by bringing his new girlfriend home for a visit. And then there was the crush she had on a gorgeous young Irishman, who turned out to be Father Tim, the parish's new priest.

But romantic salvation has arrived in the form of handsome, if surly, fisherman Malone. It turns out there's a heart of gold underneath his barnacle-clad exterior. Will this catch of the day turn into the dish of a lifetime?

My Review:

Catch of the Day is far from a serious novel, it's cute, it's fun, it's silly; but if there's one thing it isn't, it's serious. Because of its lack of depth this novel is the perfect one for reading on a lazy Saturday afternoon or just to escape reality for a couple hours. With great writing, engaging characters, and plenty of romance and humor I ended up enjoying this novel much more than I initially thought I would.

Maggie was a hilarious lead. She was fun to read about and I loved how she worked so hard to take care of the ones she loved. Likewise her slew of dates, especially the one with Roger, had me almost crying with laughter. At the same time Maggie isn't perfect and that's another one of the things I liked about her, she makes people mad, she embarrasses herself (sometimes a little too much, but we'll get to that later), and she wants nothing more than to find the love of her life. Along with her dog Colonel and her family and friends Higgins created a fantastic cast of characters that anyone could easily relate to.

If there was one character absolutely adored it was Malone. Something about his gruff personality and one word sentences just made me like him all the more and by the end of the novel I was completely in love with him. Maybe it was because Maggie was his complete opposite or because their interactions together were completely hilarious but they definitely have a spot on my list of favorite fictional couples. I wasn't a huge fan of the love triangle/non love triangle, especially with the other love interest being a priest, but it made for an original story and definitely kept things interesting!

The most infuriating thing about this novel was how many stupid decisions Maggie made. Throughout the entire novel I felt like I wanted to grab her and knock some sense into her head. I couldn't help but feel secondhand embarrassment as she constantly jumped to untrue conclusions and continuously embarrassed herself, making the novel almost painful to read at times. Some of her antics turned out being absolutely hilarious but some of them turned out being painfully hard to read, especially when Father Tim was involved. There were a few moments when I had to skip forward a few paragraphs because I just couldn't bear to read about Maggie embarrassing herself like that.

Overall Catch of the Day was a super fun novel despite being a little hard to read at some points. Maggie was an entertaining character to read about and there were moments when I was laughing out loud at some of the situations managed to find herself in. With plenty of romance and lots of humor I would definitely recommend this novel to readers wanting a lighthearted read.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment