This weeks Top Ten Tuesday theme focuses on book turn offs, I remember doing one really similar to this one earlier so I'll try not to repeat any from last time! Visit the Broke and Bookish for more Top Ten Tuesday themes!
1. No Action - If there is one thing I just can't stand, it's novels where nothing happens. Or to be more accurate, I guess it would be novels where I'm not interested in what is happening.
2. Unrelated Events - I absolutely cannot stand novels that have random events thrown in that have no merit to the plot. Some smaller events add depth to the characters but when there are too many unrelated events it takes away from the point of the novel.
3. Instant Love - I've said it before and I've said it again, I HATE when characters take one look at each other and are in love.
4. Characters who have already died - Stories about the afterlife have just never interested me. No matter how interesting a book sounds I'm likely to skip it if the characters have died.
5. Middlegrade - I don't like characters significantly younger than me because I just can't relate to them. Even though it wasn't that long ago since I was 12 or 13 I just can't stand reading about tween drama.
6. Religion - I think I mentioned this one before but it's one of my biggest turn offs. It's not that I'm against religion but I just can't stand being preached at through a novel.
7. Over the top descriptions - Sometimes descriptions can get a little annoying when they're overused. I like to know what's happening but when I'm reading about a character going to the bathroom it's a little over the top.
8. Rich Characters - If there is one thing I can't stand it's reading about shopping trips done by rich characters... it makes me a little jealous.
9. Characters under the age of 17 - This one goes hand in hand with my dislike of middlegrade. I just can't relate to characters so much younger than me.
10. Short stories- These always annoy me but more often than not I find myself reading them. There are a few good ones but there just isn't enough time for development.
Let me know what your biggest book turn offs are in the comments below!