Friday, November 15, 2013

Review: Jaz Parks#4: Bitten to Death

Title: Jaz Parks #4: Bitten to Death

Author: Jennifer Rardin

Date of Publication: August 12, 2008

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Jaz Parks here. My latest mission has taken me to the ancient Greek city of Patras; but instead of soaking up its splendor, I'm here to infiltrate a Vampere Trust. Only two vamps have ever escaped the tightly bound communities and lived to tell the tale: Edward "The Raptor" Samos, the most reviled criminal mastermind in recent memory, and Vayl, the CIA's number one assassin who also happens to be my boss.

The Raptor is trying to take over Vayl's former Trust. Unfortunately the Trust's new leader has her own plans.

This job is going to be the death of me.

My Review: 

It's been so long since I read the last book in the Jaz Parks series that I'd almost forgotten what an absolutely fantastic series this is! By far one of the better series in the paranormal genre I just can't get enough of the heart stopping action, romance, and paranormal creatures. Rardin has a great talent for creating realistic paranormal characters and, at the same time, keeping them from becoming as cheesy as they sometimes do in other paranormal romance series.

Jaz is one of my favorite heroines in the urban fantasy genre. She's a badass but she isn't annoyingly arrogant about it. Even though she puts up a strong front she has her moments of fear that make her feel real and relatable. Her boss (and love interest!) Vayl is a fascinating character and I love learning more and more about him in each novel; throughout this novel there was a big emphasis on Vayl starting to put the death of his sons behind him, finally allowing him to move into a relationship with Jaz. Watching the relationship between Jaz and Vayl develop has been one of my favorite parts of the series and in this novel Jaz and Vayl finally start to talk about having a relationship.

At this point the sexual tension between Jaz and Vayl is absolutely killing me (but I love every second of it)! Both Jaz and Vayl are starting to leave their pasts behind and start moving toward building a relationship together, however they just can't seem to find a minute alone. Throughout the entire novel their conversations were cut short and sexually charged moments were always interrupted. The introduction of Disa added an interesting dynamic to their relationship and Jaz's jealousy toward her made for some interesting interactions between Jaz and Vayl. I keep waiting for the pivotal moment in their relationship and I have a feeling that it's on the horizon, my fingers are crossed for the next book!

Bitten to Death wasn't my favorite novel in the series but it was an entertaining one to say the least. Vayl has often said that Jaz wouldn't like the man he used to be and this novel finally reveals the reasons behind that. Likewise it was interesting to finally see a little more of Jaz and Vayl's archenemy "The Raptor." Even though this one was a little slower on the action it still held plenty of heart stopping moments, and more than enough sexual tension, to hold my interest. The only frustrating thing about this series is the difficult time I have keeping up with all of Rardin's made up words relating to the vampire world. While I can generally figure out the meanings based on the context I wish there was a glossary or something so I could refresh my memory when I need it.

The Jaz Parks series is one of my favorites in the paranormal fantasy genre. With the heart stopping action I've come to love from the series, as well as the development of the sexual tension between Jaz and Vayl, Bitten to Death was a great addition to an already fantastic series.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment