Thursday, August 7, 2014

Review: Prototype

Title: Prototype (Archetype #2)

Author: M. D. Waters

Date of Publication: July 24, 2014

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: The stunning debut that began with Archetype— and has readers buzzing—concludes in Prototype, when a woman’s dual pasts lock onto a collision course, threatening her present and future.

Emma looks forward to the day when she can let go of her past—both of them. After more than a year on the run, with clues to her parents’ whereabouts within her grasp, she may finally find a place to settle down. Start a new life. Maybe even create new memories with a new family.

But the past rises to haunt her and to make sure there’s nowhere on the planet she can hide. Declan Burke wants his wife back, and with a little manipulation and a lot of reward money, he’s got the entire world on his side. Except for the one man she dreads confronting the most: Noah Tucker.

Emma returns to face what she’s done but finds that the past isn’t the problem. It’s the present—and the future it represents. Noah has moved on and another woman is raising their daughter.

In the shocking conclusion to M.D. Waters’s spectacular debut, Emma battles for her life and her freedom, tearing down walls and ripping off masks to reveal the truth. She’s decided to play their game and prove she isn’t the woman they thought she was. Even if it means she winds up dead. Or worse, reborn.

My Review:

After how much I enjoyed Archetype I was absolutely ecstatic to get my hands on a copy of Prototype. I had high hopes for this novel and I'm happy to say that it lived up to each and every one of them. The Archetype series is like nothing I've ever read before and I truly loved every minute reading about the world that Waters had created. Original and highly compelling I knew I wouldn't be able to rest until I found out exactly what was in store for Emma.

One of things that I really enjoyed was watching Emma come to terms with her identity. Even though part of her retained the memories of the old Emma she was still a completely new person with a different personality than the person she had been before. At first she tries to run from who she was but as the novel progresses she begins to accept that even though she is a different person people are beginning to accept her for who she is, rather than who she was. One of the most fascinating characters to watch go through the transformation was Noah, even though he believed that he could never accept Emma after what happened to her he slowly begins to see the person he fell in love with as more than just a copy.

The romance in this novel really blew me away. Even though it was subtle it suited the novel perfectly and I was happy to see the little love triangle start to disintegrate. Waters did a perfect job of slowly building the relationship between Emma and Noah and I loved watching them fall in love with each other all over again. From the very beginning it was obvious that Noah still loved Emma despite everything that happened but it took him time to come to terms with the fact that she was a different person than she had been before. I also loved the interactions between Emma and Adrienne, the way Waters handled their relationship worked perfectly and in the end it was really Adrienne that brought Emma and Noah back together.

Not only were the interactions between Emma and Noah great but I love her interactions with the entire cast of new characters Waters created. I especially loved Miles and Leigh, both of them were hilarious in their own way and Emma is such a serious character that the three of them played off each other perfectly. The characters also played a huge role in Emma discovering her identity, she learned a lot about who she had been from them but she also exerted some of her new personality by building relationships with people she hadn't liked before. There was a lot of room for growth when it came to character interaction and watching Emma transform throughout the novel was fascinating.

I highly recommend the Archetype series to fans of science fiction; with a dash of romance, plenty of action, and a unique plot this series had it all. I'm excited to see what Waters comes up with next and I know that I'll be first in line to get my hands on anything else written by her.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment