Thursday, January 29, 2015

Review: Behind You

behind youTitle: Behind You

Author: Carly M. Duncan

Date of Publication: June 10, 2014

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

SynopsisWhen a mysterious attack lands Heather in the hospital on the brink of death, her family rushes to her side. Through an inconvenient maze of shadowed memory and family secrets, Heather can trust only herself to discover if her husband, parents, sister or aunt tried to kill her. During the course of their own narratives, each character confesses to their various crimes of passion, envy and ignorance, weaving Heather's mystery into an untraditional tale about seizing the opportunity to start over.​
My Review:

Its been awhile since I read my first book by Duncan and while it was enjoyable, I don't particularly remember anything exciting about that novel. When I was asked to review this novel I was expecting the same, a good novel but nothing groundbreaking. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this novel was much more memorable and exciting than I anticipated.

What I absolutely loved about this novel was that there was more drama than a reality TV show and hardly a dull moment between revelations. The best part was that each discovery was so convincing and incriminating that I was constantly changing my mind about who I thought did it. I thought everyone was guilty at some point and that made me even more excited to get to the end and find out exactly who it was that hurt Heather.

All the switching perspectives took me a little while to get used to, just because there were so many characters, but once I figured out who everyone was I loved being able to watch the drama unfold from so many directions. Each member of Heather's family had something they were hiding and I was at the edge of my seat as I was bounced from one revelation to another. Even though the story was great as it was I can't help but wonder about the far reaching implications of each discovery, I would love another book about the more far reaching consequences!

The only reason I'm not giving this one five stars was that the beginning of the book didn't really seem to match up with the end. Though the revelation at the end was shocking, and honestly worked very well for the story, the set up at the beginning just didn't add up with what the revelation was. Another reason I didn't rate this one five stars was because I finished with this book with a bunch of questions, though it didn't take away from the overall story I just wanted a little bit more information than what I got.

However, the little inconsistency at the end didn't change the fact that Behind You was a fantastic book full of drama and mystery. Once I started this book I couldn't put it down until I reached the last page. I definitely recommend this one to fans of mystery, you won't be disappointed!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment