Thursday, February 19, 2015

Review: The Curse Breakers

the curse breakersTitle: The Curse Keepers #2: The Curse Breakers

Author: Denise Grover Swank

Date of Publication: April 29,2014

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

SynopsisFor more than four hundred years, the Curse Keepers guarded the barrier between the human and spirit realms. All that changed the day Ellie Lancaster met Collin Dailey. Prophecy demanded they defend the world from evil?even as it ignited a passion that threatened to consume them both.

Now Ellie faces a frightening new life, abandoned by the man she loves and tormented by malevolent spirits unleashing their vengeance upon the earth. Her only shot at protecting humanity?and herself?from the demon scourge is to claim the mark of the god Ahone as her own. Finding it means trusting Dr. David Preston, a handsome professor of Native American studies whose skepticism is surpassed only by his attraction to Ellie. Together they must finish what the Curse Keepers began, defying the forces of darkness to face hell on earth?and unlock the truth of Ellie's destiny.

My Review:


I absolutely loved the first book in this series so I don't know why it took me so long to finally get started on the second. However, once I got started I couldn't put this book down! Swank completely pulled me back into the world of the lost Roanoke Colony and all the action surrounding it. 

What initially drew me to this series, and the reason I love it so much, is all the history about the Roanoke Colony. Swank seamlessly integrates both history and the paranormal into an unforgettable read. I've always been fascinated about the disappearance of the colony and Swank offers a believable, although paranormal, explanation that works perfectly for the story but isn't so far out there that I can't appreciate the history aspect of the novel. 

Despite being a good book overall I would have to say that The Curse Breakers definitely suffers from what I call second book slump. Trilogies are a tricky thing in that the first book introduces the conflict and the third book resolves the conflict, but the second book often gets bogged down with set up for the final resolution. Though this book was fun to read most of the plot was spent on dialogue, rather than action, which was interesting but not very exciting.

However, the characters totally made up for the lack of action and I loved being reconnected with Ellie and Collin and getting introduced to new characters in the series. I was a huge fan of the Collin and Ellie paring in the first novel so, needless to say, I was a little disappointed by the development of a love triangle in this one. I'm still rooting for Collin all the way and, even though he can be a major jerk, I like his personality a lot more than that of David, the new love interest.

The Curse Breakers series is one of the best blends of history and the paranormal that I've ever read and I have no qualms about recommending this one to fans of not just urban fantasy but those who love history as well.

4/5

*I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via Netgally in exchange for a free and honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment