Thursday, February 12, 2015

Review: Scandal in Spring

scandal in springTitle: Wallflowers #4: Scandal in Spring

Author: Lisa Kleypas

Date of Publication: July 25, 2006

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-book

Buy this Book: Amazon

Synopsis: After spending three London seasons searching for a husband, Daisy Bowman's father has told her in no uncertain terms that she must find a husband. Now. And if Daisy can't snare an appropriate suitor, she will marry the man he chooses—the ruthless and aloof Matthew Swift.

Daisy is horrified. A Bowman never admits defeat, and she decides to do whatever it takes to marry someone . . . anyone . . . other than Matthew. But she doesn't count on Matthew's unexpected charm . . . or the blazing sensuality that soon flares beyond both their control. And Daisy discovers that the man she has always hated just might turn out to be the man of her dreams.

But right at the moment of sweet surrender, a scandalous secret is uncovered . . . one that could destroy both Matthew and a love more passionate and irresistible than Daisy's wildest fantasies.

My Review:

I've been on a huge historical kick lately, which is always a tricky genre for me, but this book was one of the ones I ended up really liking. I don't know what it is with me and historical series but I never read them in order, maybe it's because you don't really need to, but I just never seem to start with the first one. Anyway, I had no trouble understanding what was going on even though this one was the 4th in the series.

Right off the bat I absolutely loved Daisy, whimsical and always with her head in a book I felt like I could really relate to her. With her strong personality there were plenty of opportunities for hilarious banter between her and Matthew and I loved every moment of it. I really loved the development of not only Daisy and Matthew but all the secondary characters as well, even though I haven't read the first three books I still felt a connection to the rest of Daisy's friends and I'm even more eager to read their stories now that I know them a little bit!

The romance was absolutely wonderful. I loved watching the relationship between Daisy and Matthew develop from hate to love and everything else in between. Kleypas had a knack for putting them in hilarious and unusual situations and I really loved that, especially because I felt that it gave them the opportunity to get to know each other a little more unconventionally and that made their relationship feel more real. Plus I read the whole books with a big goofy grin on my face because, lets face it, this book was just plain cute.

Even though the novel was mostly focused on the romance I enjoyed the other side plots throughout the story. I was intrigued by Matthew's past and though I wasn't entirely surprised when everything was revealed I still enjoyed the drama it added to the story. Plus the little excitement about Daisy's sister having her baby and her sister's vehement dislike of Matthew also made for interesting plot points and I enjoyed the fact that there was a little bit more to this story than just romance.

Though I've heard that Scandal in Spring is the worst of the Wallflowers series I ended up really liking it and I'm excited to get my hands on the rest of the books in the series. I'm especially excited for Evie's story because, from what I can gather, hers sounds the most interesting. A great historical novel and I definitely recommend!

4/5

Special Offer: Right now you can get an audio book of Scandal in Spring (plus one more of your choosing!) for FREE on Amazon via Audible click  HERE to find out how! 

No comments:

Post a Comment