Saturday, February 7, 2015

Short Story Saturday: Seeing Eye

shifting shadowsTitle: Seeing Eye (from the anthology Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson)

Author: Patricia Briggs

Date of Publication: September 2, 2014

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Number of Pages: 30

Synopsis: "In Mercy's world, good witches are few and far between- and mostly on the run from dark witches. I thought about how a white witch could gain enough power to stand up to the evil ones, and Moria was born. A moment later, Tom knocked at my (figurative) door, full-fledged and ready to go. I am going to write more about Tom and Moira eventually. But for those who want more now, they also have a guestappearance in Hunting Ground." - Patricia Briggs, Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson
My Review:

 I vaguely remember Tom and Moira from the Alpha and Omega series, but this story made me want to go back and re-read all the books in order to find the spot where they appeared. I absolutely loved reading about the two of them and they easily take the cake as two of my favorite secondary characters in the series (other than Ben, Kyle, and Warren, of course!) and I'm so excited to read more about them in the future.

Right off the bat I loved the chemistry between Tom and Moira. Even though there wasn't necessarily any romance-romance between them I could tell that there was a connection and I loved reading about their interactions, especially because of the uniqueness of Moria's character. Because she's blind it adds a whole new dimension to her personality and watching her overcome her adversaries despite her disability was extremely satisfying. Moria was a wonderful character and I finished this story wanting to know more about her but not feeling unsatisfied like I didn't know enough.

Even though this is a short story Briggs included so many threads that  could lead to a full length story and I was fascinated by each of them. Between how Moria got her blindness and her family drama I know that this story only touched the tip of the iceberg. Likewise I can't wait to learn more about Moria's magic and how Tom plays into all of it. Plus the shifting POV's is always a treat, I loved being able to see both Tom and Moria from each other's perspectives!

Seeing Eye was another of my favorites in the series and I have a feeling that this story is going to be much like Alpha & Omega in that we haven't seen the last of Moria and Tom! I just hope the stories about them come sooner rather than later!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment