Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Review: Dead Heat

Title: Alpha & Omega #4: Dead Heat

Author: Patricia Briggs

Date of Publication: March 3, 2015

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-book

Buy This BookAmazon.com

Synopsis: For once, mated werewolves Charles and Anna are not traveling because of Charles’s role as his father’s enforcer. This time, their trip to Arizona is purely personal, as Charles plans to buy Anna a horse for her birthday. Or at least it starts out that way...

Charles and Anna soon discover that a dangerous Fae being is on the loose, replacing human children with simulacrums. The Fae’s cold war with humanity is about to heat up—and Charles and Anna are in the cross fire.

My Review:

I've always been a huge fan of Patricia Briggs, so needless to say I had really high expectations going into this novel. I wasn't as impressed with the third book in the Alpha and Omega series so I was eager to get my hands on this one, but a little nervous as well. However, I had no reason to be nervous because, as usual, Briggs completely blew me away and I fell even more in love with Charles and Anna. 

Anna has come a long way since the beginning of this series. She started the Alpha and Omega series as a quiet and broken character and I've loved watching her transform into strong and outgoing character she is now. Dead Heat really emphasized this change and I loved watching her take charge of situations and watching her and Charles work together. The dynamic between Charles and Anna has changed a lot, Charles has gone from more of a protector to a friend and I've loved watching the relationship between the two of them grow and evolve. 

Dead Heat has one of the best mysteries in the whole series so far. The last book in the series left a little to be desired in the plot aspect, but this novel totally made up for it. The child stealing fae we're introduced to in this novel is terrifying and I was on the edge of my seat for the entire novel. From kidnappings to murder this novel had it all and I just couldn't get enough of it. I definitely didn't see the ending coming and I was kept on my toes the whole time. 

Though the romance between Charles and Anna is subtle at best but Briggs knows how to make the most of the moments she orchestrates between them. Part of what make the romance between Charles and Anna so wonderful is the connection between them, because of their connection I don't feel like the romance is lacking even though there's so little of it. I also adored the chance to see inside both Charles's and Anna's minds, reading their inner commentary about each other was just adorable and I love seeing each of them from the other's perspective. 

I wouldn't say the Alpha and Omega series is as good as the Mercy Thompson series but I would definitely recommend it to fans of paranormal romance. Briggs is one of the best writers in PNR today and I just can't recommend her enough. Amazing characters, a fast paced plot, and an adorable romance this book has it all! 

5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment