Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Review: Hand of Miriam

Title: Bayla and the Golem #1: Hand of Miriam

Author: Eva Gordon

Date of Publication: December 6, 2013

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon.com

Synopsis: On an archaeological expedition, Bayla Gideon, is widowed by a supernatural force and branded with the Hand of Miriam or Knowing Eye. Threatened by evil, she awakens the golem; a mythical man of clay, who protected the Jewish community over three centuries ago.

The golem, Gesher, is surprised. Freedom –by a beautiful, enchanting woman. His desire is to return to the celestial spheres and regain his status as an avenging angel. Yet, Bayla challenges his mind, body and soul. Would he risk his return to the heavens for her?

Besides, dealing with the otherkind, mad inventors and an unrelenting matchmaking aunt, Bayla is equally determined to resist her steamy attraction to the striking fallen angel.

Thrust into a malevolent war, which includes facing Jack the Ripper, they must resist the magnetic pull toward each other, while protecting the world from encroaching evil.

My Review:

I've been meaning to read The Hand of Miriam for what feels like forever, so when I finally sat down to start this one I didn't even read the description and jumped right in. After only a few pages I was thrilled to discover this novel full of steampunk inventions, a unique cast of characters, and a fascinating story line. I was quickly drawn into the story and I only wish I had picked this one up sooner! 

I was immediately fascinated by the the physical Hand of Miriam, which embeds itself in Bayla's palm, and Gesher, the golem. Though I've heard of both before I've never read a book about either of them and I loved being introduced to Jewish customs and stories. From werewolves, to vampires, and unsuitable suitors this novel had it all! The Hand of Miriam was a highly original novel and I loved reading about the stories and creatures associated with the Jewish religion rather than Christianity. I've never read anything quite like this novel, and I enjoyed every moment of it. 

Though Gesher can't be with a human woman, or he'll be stuck on earth forever, he falls in love with Bayla anyway and the romance between them ranged from sweet to steamy and everything else in between. Because much of the novel is spent with the two of them hiding their feelings for each other and building up sexual tension the moment when the two of them finally admitted their feelings for each other was only all the better. Though Gesher could be a bit on the alpha male and domineering side I wasn't overly bothered by his attitude and it was obvious that he only had Bayla's best interests at heart. 

The mystery involving Jack the Ripper kind of fell to the background in the beginning but it really took a strong lead at the end and I loved every moment of it. I used to absolutely love mysteries and I just don't read enough of them anymore. The murders were gruesome and though it wasn't particularly hard to figure out who was behind them I still enjoyed the ride to get there. The ending was action packed and I loved watching all the villains get exactly what they deserved and seeing Bayla and Gesher finally be together! 

I was very impressed by the first installment of the Bayla and the Golem series and I'm excited to see where Gordon takes it next! I loved the action, the romance, and learning about a whole section of paranormal creatures and their stories. A great read! 

4/5

*I received a copy of this novel from the author in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment