Thursday, March 19, 2015

Review: Lord of Misrule

Title: The Morganville Vampires #5: The Lord Misrule

Author: Rachel Caine

Date of Publication: January 6, 2009

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This BookAmazon.com

Synopsis: In the college town of Morganville, vampires and humans coexist in (relatively) bloodless harmony. Then comes Bishop, the master vampire who threatens to abolish all order, revive the forces of the evil dead, and let chaos rule. But Bishop isn’t the only threat.

Violent black cyclone clouds hover, promising a storm of devastating proportions as student Claire Danvers and her friends prepare to defend Morganville against elements both natural and unnatural.

My Review:

I've always been a huge fan of the Morganville Vampire's series. Each installment is a short, quick read and they all read like one continuous novel since each one picks up right where the last left off. I picked up my first Morganville book 6 years ago and even though so much as changed since then I still love this series and I just can't recommend it enough to fans of YA fiction. With action, excitement, and romance this series has it all and each of the books is more addicting than the last.

That being said, Lord of Misrule was probably my least favorite in the series so far. Though I enjoyed the action I really missed a lot of the character interactions that were present in the previous books. Claire, Shane, Eve, and Michael spent most of this book doing their own things and I really missed seeing the interactions between the four of them. There was barely a moment when they were all in the same room together and I especially missed seeing the romance between Eve and Michael. 

However, what was lacking in character interactions Caine made up for in plot. Lord of Misrule is easily the most exciting installment so far and most definitely a turning point for the series. I absolutely devoured this novel; between the upcoming war between the vampires and the reappearance of Shane's father there was hardly a dull moment. The ending was especially exciting and with all the death and destruction, paired with the cliffhanger, I ended this novel already reaching for the next one!

Claire and Shane are always going to be one of my favorite fictional couples and even though interactions between the two of them were limited this time around I still loved every stolen moment between them. I was sad to see that the romance between them was a little light this time around but I've got my hopes up for upcoming novels, I just love the two of them together and I can't wait to see where it goes. Shane is one of those characters I just love even though he can drive me a little insane sometimes, especially when it comes to some of his life choices. However, Claire is his perfect match and when Shane decides to be sweet and adorable he sure does it right. 

Overall Lord of Misrule wasn't my favorite in the series but it was still a fun and exciting read. The Morganville Vampires has always held a special place in my heart and if I had to recommend one YA vampire series it would most definitely be this one. 

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment