Saturday, March 14, 2015

Short Story Saturday: Hollow

shifting shadowsTitle: Hollow (from the anthology Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson)

Author: Patricia Briggs

Date of Publication: September 2, 2014

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Number of Pages: 42

Synopsis: "I have always had vivid dreams. Those dreams are especially real when I am sick- sometimes it takes me a while to figure out which part was the dream and which the reality. This story is born from a nightmare about an old friend who was being haunted by his murdered wife. It is also about Mercy making peace with the changes in her life." - Patricia Briggs, Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson

My Review:

Mercy Thompson is one of my favorite heroines of all time so the last story in this anthology was definitely the one I was most looking forward to, and the one that ended up being my favorite. Though there aren't many returning characters in this one I enjoyed meeting some new faces in the Mercy world and I absolutely loved Briggs's take on ghosts.

One of the things I love most about Mercy is that she always finds herself in some of the most exciting situations and this one was no exception. I absolutely loved the ghost story/mystery in this one and my only complaint is that I wish it had been longer! Briggs did a wonderful job with the development of the plot and even though it was a short story she packed quite a punch in the time that she did have. I loved the ghost story aspect and I hope we get to see more of that in future novels!  

Even though there weren't many returning characters one person I was thrilled to see was Adam- swoon! He played a relatively small role in the story, only a page or two, but he was just as sweet and amazing as I remembered him, and his brief appearance made me fall in love with him all over again. Seeing a little peek of him, and the interaction between him and Mercy, made me desperate all over again for the next book in the series! 

A great conclusion to the collection Hollow was one of the best in the series and I loved getting a little story about Mercy to keep me satisfied while I wait for the 9th book in the series. If you only have time to read a few stories in this collection definitely make sure Hollow is one of them!

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment