Thursday, June 25, 2015

Review: Flirting with Fire

Title: Hot in Chicago #1: Flirting With Fire

Author: Kate Meader

Date of Publication: March 24, 2015

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon.com

Synopsis: The first installment in Hot in Chicago, a brand-new, sizzling series from Kate Meader that follows a group of firefighting foster siblings and their blazing hot love interests!

Savvy PR guru Kinsey Taylor has always defined herself by her career, not her gender. That is, until she moved from San Francisco to Chicago to be with her fiancé who thought she wasn’t taking her “job” of supporting him in his high-powered career seriously enough—and promptly dumped her for a more supportive and “feminine” nurse. Now, as the new assistant press secretary to Chicago’s dynamic mayor, she’s determined to keep her eye on the prize: no time to feel inferior because she’s a strong, kick-ass woman, and certainly no time for men.

But that all changes when she meets Luke Almeida, a firefighter as searingly sexy as he is quick-tempered. He’s also the second oldest of the Firefightin’ Dempseys, a family of foster siblings who have committed their lives to the service—if Luke’s antics don’t get him fired first. When Luke goes one step too far and gets into a bar brawl with the Chicago Police Department, Kinsey marches into Luke’s firehouse and lays down the law on orders from the mayor. But at Engine Co. 6, Luke Almeida is the law. And he’s not about to let Kinsey make the rules.

My Review:

I honestly hadn't been expecting much from this novel, in fact based on the cover and the synopsis I was expecting this one to be pretty bad. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I found myself starting to enjoy the story. I loved how Meader created so many different intertwining plot lines and even a secondary romance with one of Luke's foster brothers; there was hardly a dull moment, and I loved that! 

Though there was nothing earth shattering about this novel it was entertaining, in mindless reality television kind of way, but entertaining nonetheless. I loved reading about Luke and Kinsey and the drama surrounding their initial meeting. Flirting with Fire was full of surprising plot twists and I was surprised by how much drama Meader was able to fit into this novel, so often with contemporary novels I find myself getting bored because reading about day to day activities never interests me. From conflicts between Kinsey and her boss to the side story about Luke's foster brother Gage, there was plenty of story lines to keep me entertained. 

As for the romance, Meader executed it astonishingly well for what it was. I've never been a fan of any kind of romance that starts with little meaning behind it, as was the case this time, but the way it was executed made me enjoy it anyway. Maybe it was because I could tell that both Luke and Kinsey were hiding their feelings, even from themselves, but I felt a connection between them that I don't usually feel in romances like this. Though I wouldn't call the romance raunchy it had plenty of perfectly placed steamy scenes and Meader was able to keep everything classy while still adding plenty of spice, something I always appreciate. 

The only thing that irritated me a little bit about this book was how Kinsey and Luke made everything difficult for themselves through poor communication. I suppose there wouldn't have been much of a story if they didn't, but I got a little frustrated with them toward the end of the novel because I wanted everything for them to work out but they were making it so difficult. However, the conflict between them didn't go on long and I was happy to see the two of them work everything out. 

In the end I would definitely recommend Flirting With Fire to those looking for something fun to read that doesn't require a whole lot of thinking. This is the perfect book to sit down with and de-stress at the end of a long day. Fans of contemporary romance have found a winner with Kate Meader. 

4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment