Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Paranormalcy Review

Title: Paranormalcy

Author: Kiersten White

Date of Publication: August 31, 2010

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Sixteen year old Evie works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, an organization dedicated to capturing paranormals and protecting humans. When Evie helps capture a shape shifting boy, Lend, she discovers that he knows a riddle that seems to be linked to Evie. Even though Evie has always considered herself normal her faerie ex-boyfriend Reth seems to think otherwise and Lend's riddle seems to prove it. After the IPCA is attacked by another of Evie's kind, she slowly begins to learn more about herself and why Reth and the Seelie Court want her so badly.

My Review:


This is the second time I've read Paranormalcy, the first time having been about a year ago I wanted to refresh my memory before reading the sequel, Supernaturally. I enjoyed this book just as much this time as I did the first time I read it. White does an excellent job creating a interesting plot and adorable characters.


Evie is a fun character to read about, while a little ditzy and shallow, she is humorous and her obsession with everything relating to high school makes me laugh. Lend is a solid love interest, a bit too perfect; causing me to question his motives, but otherwise a likable character. Hopefully White spends more time on Lend in the next book, I'm curious about what kind of paranormal he is and why he broke into the IPCA in the first place.


I really enjoyed the story line, Evie's powers are fascinating and her relationship with Vivian will undoubtedly make an appearance in the sequel. I can't wait to see what happens to Vivian and what Evie will do with her. The morally ambiguous faeries add an interesting dynamic to the story, while they are the villains of the story, its impossible to know if they really are evil. My favorite character by far is Reth, White does a fantastic job making him mysterious and sinister, the perfect villain.


Despite being a somewhat shallow read, Paranormalcy is a fantastic book. It's a perfect set up for a sequel which I'm sure I will enjoy. Cute characters, an entertaining plot, and a bubbly lead all make Paranormalcy a book worth picking up.


4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment