Friday, July 20, 2012

Revenants #2: Until I Die Review

Title: Revenants #2: Until I Die

Author: Amy Plum

Date of Publication: May 8,2012

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Synopsis: Kate Mercier and her gorgeous Revenant boyfriend Vincent have reached an agreement. Vincent will no longer die for humans so Kate won't have to deal with the tragedy of him constantly dying. However Kate soon realizes how hard it is on Vincent and begins to search for a different way for them to be together. After destroying the Numa leader the Numa have been strangely silent, leaving the Paris Revenant's to wonder what their planning. With the help of an old Reverent, Violette, Kate learns that Vincent may hold the key to an ancient prophecy, one that could tip the balance of power in favor of the Revenants, something the Numa want to avoid at all costs.

My Review:


I have never understood the popularity surrounding this series. While the plot itself is interesting and the Parisian setting is refreshing the story just doesn't reach its full potential.  The characters are flat and two dimensional, the dialogue is cheesy, and the romance between Kate and Vincent feels empty. Their relationship isn't based on anything more than physical attraction, leaving their relationship with no depth.


Kate is an annoying character; she is whiny, self-centered, and clingy. Kate can hardly go a day without Vincent without complaining and becoming depressed about it, she constantly calls him and texts him, and constantly interrogated his friends about his actions. Despite this she goes behind his back while searching for a way for them to be together, going through great pains to hide what she is doing from him all the while being annoyed at him for not telling her about his actions.


The story moves unbearably slow until the last 50 pages where things finally begin to pick up as the characters true motives are revealed. One major plot development was the idea of Vincent being the "Champion", how Violette came to this conclusion and what being the "Champion" actually entails is a mystery, leaving quite a few holes in the plot. The ending leaves the characters in an interesting predicament, something I definitely didn't see coming.


While I want to like this series I just don't find myself enjoying it. While I can't say that I hate it, it does have a few good points, my frustration with the characters and the plot holes leave much to be desired. Younger crowds may enjoy Until I Die, but I would recommend older readers to wait for the library to acquire a copy.


2/5

1 comment:

  1. I've never read this one, but looks like I'll be skipping the series. Romances like this one drive me nuts!

    ReplyDelete