Friday, August 31, 2012

Hex Hall Review

Title: Hex Hall

Author: Rachel Hawkins

Date of Publication: March 2, 2o10

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Synopsis: After another one of her spells goes wildly out of control Sophie Mercer is sent to Hecate Hall; a school for wayward witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. After her first day Sophie has already started off on the wrong foot with the three most popular, and powerful, witches at school, has a crush on a gorgeous warlock, and is stuck rooming with the schools outcast, Jenna, the only vampire in school. As powerful witches start getting hurt, and even dying, Sophie is determined to clear Jenna's name and bring her friend back to Hex Hall. As Sophie discovers secrets about her new friends she learns a startling, and scary, secret about herself as well.

My Review:


I didn't instantly fall in love with Hex Hall but by page 100 I knew I was going to love this book. From Sophie's witty remarks to the pranks pulled on her by her rival, Elodie, I couldn't help but smile at this cute school story. I originally thought I wouldn't like his book because of the young characters but I am happy to say I absolutely loved this book!


Sophie was a hilarious character, full of sarcastic remarks she reminded me a lot of myself when I was that age! She was really fun to read about and I loved her interactions with the other characters, especially her crush Archer. I loved Archer, the perfect match for Sophie he was just as witty and was hiding a few secrets of his own. After the surprising ending I'm dying to see what happens in the next book! I know we haven't seen the last of Archer!


As Sophie discovers more about her powers through the help of her great grandmother's ghost, Alice, she discovers what a powerful witch she is and the secrets that her family has been hiding from her. I had been expecting this book to be a bit predictable but it kept me guessing and with every revelation I was drawn deeper into the story, wondering what would happen next. Hex Hall was the perfect blend of a cute school story and a serious mystery!


Even though Hex Hall is directed at late middle school and early high school students it was still a fantastic read and I would undoubtedly recommend it to fans of paranormal romance and school stories. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the next one!


5/5

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard of "A Discovery of Witches?" It's the first of a trilogy, but only the first two are out so far. If you like paranormal romances, you'll love this book. And it's aimed more for adults than for middle school-aged folks. Don't get me wrong, I love the books aimed at younger crowds (sometimes they just read more "magically" if you know what I mean), but this book was just as compelling and I didn't feel ridiculous reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I’ve heard of it but just never really looked into it! I love books aimed at both younger readers and adults, so I’m sure I would like it! I’ll have to add it to my TBR list:)

    ReplyDelete