Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Steampunk Chronicles #2: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar Review

Title: The Steampunk Chronicles #2: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar

Author: Kady Cross

Date of Publication: May 22, 2012

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Synopsis: After their friend Jasper Renn was hauled off by bounty hunters Griffin King and his band of misfits leave from London to New York to save their wayward friend. Once in New York they discover that Jasper has been captured by his former boss and dangerous gang leader Dalton. Dalton is demanding that Jasper return a contraption Jasper stole from him before he kills Mei, the girl Jasper loves. Finley quickly infiltrates their gang, getting close to Dalton to learn his secrets. The more time Finley spends in the gang the more her dark side starts to reveal itself, leaving her friends Sam and Emily, and most of all Griffin, wondering where her allegiances lie.

My Review:


I hadn't been expecting to love this book as much as I did! The first book in the series, The Girl in the Steel Corset, had been an enjoyable but merely okay novel. A bit slow and at times dull I had expected this novel to be the same. I was thrilled when I started reading only to find that I was riveted by the plot and the interactions between characters sometimes had me laughing out loud!


I absolutely adored the romance between Griffin and Finley, despite their uncertainty in each other's feelings Griffin is constantly worried about Finley's safety, they're both torn apart by each other's near death experiences, and Finley spends the last part of the novel wearing Griffin's clothes. Definitely not a stereotypical romance their interactions kept me smiling the entire novel. Sam and Emily also have the cutest relationship and I would absolutely love to see more between them, I'll have my fingers crossed for the next book!


After his relatively small part in The Girl in the Steel Corset I was excited to read more about Jasper in this novel. Filling in pieces about his mysterious past and learning more about his character through the constantly changing point of view was a real treat. I adore books with changing POV's and Cross does a fantastic job switching between characters.


With a fantastic plot full of steampunk inventions, including even the Victorian version of a cell phone, Kady Cross blew my expectations away with this novel.  With a surprising ending and a perfectly deceptive villain it was no wonder I fell in love with this book! I'm definitely looking forward to more in The Steampunk Chronicles!


5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment