Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Defiance Review

Title: Defiance

Author: C. J. Redwine

Date of Publication: August 28, 2012

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Synopsis: After a being called the "Cursed One" destroys the population of the earth, leaving only a few humans who seem to have learned to control its power, the brutal leader of Baalboden wants Rachel. After the death of her father Logan, her father's apprentice, is named Rachel's protector. Enemies after Rachel declared her love for him and he rejected her, Rachel is less than thrilled to be living in his house. Despite the proclamation that he is dead Rachel just can't believe that her father is dead, with the help of Logan Rachel is determined to find him. However Rachel's father has something the Commander of Baalboden wants and he is sure that Rachel knows where it is. After he takes away everything Rachel loves most in the world she is forced to retrieve it for him, or risk the lives of everyone she's ever held dear.

My Review:


Initially I liked Defiance, however as I sat down to write this review and really started thinking about the novel as a whole I came to the conclusion that while the story was okay, it was a rather mediocre piece of writing. I really enjoyed the beginning but I found that as the novel progressed I became less and less interested with the story and the characters started to annoy me more and more.


Logan and Rachel weren't bad, I wasn't a huge fan of either of them; Logan was a bit selfish and Rachel's personality constantly took 180 degree turns but I didn't mind them. The most annoying thing about them was their romance; a bit of an "insta-love" they go from hating each other one minute to almost kissing the next. Logan was needy and self-centered while Rachel was constantly feeling sorry for herself, traits that never fail to annoy me.


The plot was interesting enough, it was a little predictable and the end got a bit boring but all in all it was okay. One thing that Redwine did an excellent job with was creating the villain, the Commander was perfectly evil and I hated him more and more with every page. Always a sign that the villain is doing his job!


 I really enjoyed Melkin's character; just as desperate as Rachel to save the ones he loves he played an interesting role in the story. I was constantly guessing whether he was good or evil and his ability to call the Cursed One through his walking stick was definitely a fascinating development, I wish Redwine had spent a little more time with his character!


Defiance was far from my favorite book but I feel that some people may really enjoy it so I'm not going to write this one off completely. After such a great start I just found myself disappointed in the downhill turn of the story after that, fans of the paranormal may enjoy this one but be warned, it's a 50/50 chance.


3/5

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I was looking at this book earlier this week and trying to decide what I should get myself new to look at, and I may still give this one a shot to see if I feel the same way or not. I'll have to post up my findings whenever I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If you decide to get it definitely tell me what you think! I would love to hear another opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do! If I end up getting something else instead, I'll see if you've read it or not and give a thumbs up or down :D!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! Can't wait to see what you decide on! :)

    ReplyDelete