Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Thing About the Truth Review

Title: The Thing About the Truth

Author: Lauren Barnholdt

Date of Publication: July 10, 2012

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Synopsis: Kelsey and Isaac have both been kicked out of their previous schools; for Kelsey Concordia Public is her last chance to make a good impression and get into a good college, for Isaac, the son of the state's senator, this is the last stop before boarding school. Despite getting off on the wrong foot Kelsey and Isaac begin to fall for each other, surprising even themselves. As they work together with Concordia Prep, Kelsey's old school, and put together Face It Down Day, a day for students from both schools to come together despite their differences, Kelsey's past comes back to haunt her. When Isaac learns what really happened at her old school, and the real reason she got kicked out, Face It Down Day ends in disaster. Now Kelsey and Isaac both face the repercussions of not telling the truth.

My Review:


From page one I was completely enthralled with The Thing About the Truth. I could hardly put this book down, the story switching back and forth between the "Aftermath" and the "Before" as well as alternating points of view between Isaac and Kelsey, kept an otherwise mundane plot line fresh and exciting.


My favorite part of the novel was the alternating perspectives between Isaac and Kelsey, I love being able to see into more than once characters head. Both Isaac and Kelsey were great characters, I adore love stories where the main characters start off hating each other and then end up falling in love and the interactions between Kelsey and Isaac made me smile.


I didn't really understand the big deal that was made about Kelsey's secret and her past relationships. While I could understand Isaac being upset I think that it was taken a little far for what the secret actually was. I don't want to give anything away but I just feel like the plot was built on a bit of a weak foundation.


Despite feeling like the root of the novel was a bit weak I still really enjoyed the rest of the novel. Marshall, Isaac's first friend at Concordia Public, never failed to make me laugh and Chloe, Kelsey's friend, made me laugh as well. I loved the characters and their interactions with each other. As each of them struggle through their own problems and work together to make them right I loved each of the characters a bit more.


Fans of realistic fiction will no doubt love this novel, full of romance and secrets The Thing About the Truth is an entertaining read. I would highly recommend this novel, even to those who don't enjoy realistic fiction. This book may just change your mind.


4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment