Monday, March 11, 2013

Newsoul #2: Asunder Review

asunderTitle: Newsoul #2: Asunder

Author: Jodi Meadows

Date of Publication: January 29, 2013

Formats Available: Hardcover, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: DARKSOULS
Ana has always been the only one. Asunder. Apart. But after Templedark, when many residents of Heart were lost forever, some hold Ana responsible for the darksouls–and the newsouls who may be born in their place.

SHADOWS
Many are afraid of Ana’s presence, a constant reminder of unstoppable changes and the unknown. When sylph begin behaving differently toward her and people turn violent, Ana must learn to stand up not only for herself but for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

LOVE
Ana was told that nosouls can’t love. But newsouls? More than anything, she wants to live and love as an equal among the citizens of Heart, but even when Sam professes his deepest feelings, it seems impossible to overcome a lifetime of rejection.

In this second book in the Incarnate trilogy, Ana discovers the truth about reincarnation and will have to find a way to embrace love and make her young life meaningful. Once again, Jodi Meadows explores the extraordinary beauty and shadowed depths of the soul in a story equal parts epic romance and captivating fantasy.

My Review:

I don't even know where to begin writing this review. Asunder was everything I hoped it would be and more; richly romantic, beautifully written, and heartbreakingly beautiful. Asunder completely blew me away, from the heartwarming scenes between Sam and Ana to the enthralling plot. I thought nothing could ever live up to how wonderful Incarnate had been, I was wrong.

Most second novels in a trilogy fall flat, whether it's because its neither the beginning nor ending of the story or because most second books merely provide set up for the conclusion of the series, but Asunder was not one of these novels. Meadows was able to provide all necessary information for the next novel without making this one feel rushed or boring. Throughout the course of this novel I fell even more in love with Sam and Ana (if that's even possible) and even went back and re-read parts over and over because I loved them that much.

Sam and Ana are quite possibly one of my favorite fictional couples of all time. Their complete love and dedication to each other is sweet and heartfelt. Meadows has a way of conveying their complete love for each other through more than just words and actions, throughout the novel there is never a question of how they feel even if they're arguing. Despite all their differences it continues to become clear that they need each other more than just on the surface.

I absolutely adore the focus on music in this series. Music saves Ana's life, music brings Sam and Ana together, music is what keeps both of them going. I don't know if music is going to play a big role in the conclusion of the series, it seems to be leaning that way after some of the discoveries in Asunder, but either way the focus on music makes me love this series even more. Being a huge fan of music myself I feel even more connected with Sam and Ana than I would otherwise. Music is something that everyone understands and makes Sam and Ana feel more relatable, more real.

My review of this novel doesn't do it justice; truthfully I don't think any review can really do this book justice. Just trust me when I say that the Newsoul trilogy is one of the most fantastic YA series available and young and old alike should not skip this one under any circumstances.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment