Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Rules of Scoundrels #1: A Rogue by Any Other Name Review

a rouge by any other nameTitle: The Rules of Scoundrels #1: A Rogue by Any other Name

Author: Sarah MacLean

Date of Publication: February 28, 2012

Formats Available: Paperback, E-Book

Buy This BookAmazon

Synopsis: What a scoundrel wants, a scoundrel gets...

A decade ago, the Marquess of Bourne was cast from society with nothing but his title. Now a partner in London’s most exclusive gaming hell, the cold, ruthless Bourne will do whatever it takes to regain his inheritance—including marrying perfect, proper Lady Penelope Marbury.

A broken engagement and years of disappointing courtships have left Penelope with little interest in a quiet, comfortable marriage, and a longing for something more. How lucky that her new husband has access to such unexplored pleasures.

Bourne may be a prince of London’s underworld, but he vows to keep Penelope untouched by its wickedness—a challenge indeed as the lady discovers her own desires, and her willingness to wager anything for them... even her heart.

My Review: 

I definitely wasn't expecting much from this novel, maybe that's why I was so surprised when I found myself actually beginning to like it. Despite being completely unrealistic and at times a bit ridiculous A Rogue by Any Other Name was a fun and cute read. Paired with a sassy heroine, a deliciously scruffy love interest, and plenty of steamy scenes to leave me reading long into the night, this novel definitely surprised me!

The plot started off a little sudden and rough but I soon got into the story and once I was able to get rid of my obsession with accurate  details and a realistic plot I was able to enjoy the novel for what it was. A Rogue by Any Other Name doesn't have a  complex plot, or even a very logical one, but letting go ideas about the real world was half the fun. The plot itself was interesting enough, and totally predictable, but it was fun to watch Penelope and Bourne struggle with their feelings to each other and laugh at their half-hearted excused about why they shouldn't like one another.

Penelope was really fun; sassy and smart she wasn't afraid to stand up against Bourne and refute his desire for revenge. The care she had for her sisters was endearing and the ending makes me excited to read more about her sisters in the rest of the series! Bourne started off a complete rake, using Penelope only for his dowry, but as the novel progresses he begins to really care for her and starts changing his ways in order to impress her. Even thought I didn't 100% like him by the end (I just couldn't get over how much he used Penelope) I still began to like his character.

The romance between Penelope and Bourne was... interesting for lack of a better word. Their relationship starts off as a facade to hide the truth of their marriage, however as the novel progresses they begin to move away from the facade and into real feelings. Even though it was a little shallow I liked the romance and enjoyed the changing perspectives between Penelope and Bourne as they thought the same thing but refused to admit it to each other, or even themselves.

Overall A Rouge by Any Other Name was a cute but shallow story. I really enjoyed it and fans of historical romance will no doubt enjoy this novel as well. With fun characters and an interesting plot it is by far one of the better historical romances I have ever read!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment