Friday, March 1, 2013

Rockoholic Review

rockoholicTitle: Rockoholic

Author: C. J. Skuse

Date of Publication: November 1, 2012

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Buy This BookAmazon

Synopsis: She's got it bad, and he ain't good -- he's in her garage?

"I'm your biggest fan; I'll follow you until you love me..."

Gonna have to face it: Jody's addicted to Jackson Gatlin, frontman of The Regulators, and after her best bud Mac scores tickets, she's front and center at his sold-out concert. But when she gets mashed in the moshpit and bodysurfs backstage, she's got more than a mild concussion to deal with. By the next morning, the strung-out rock star is coming down in her garage. Jody -- oops -- kind of kidnapped him. By accident. With a Curly Wurly candy bar. And now he doesn't want to leave.

It's a rock-star abduction worthy of an MTV reality series...but who got punk'd?!

My Review: 

I'm a HUGE fan of rock music. I've also gone to my fair share of rock concerts where my friends and I joked about kidnapping our favorite band members.  So when I saw the synopsis for this novel I knew that I just had to read it no matter how ridiculous it sounded. I wasn't expecting much from this novel, and there were times when I wasn't sure if I should keep reading, but in the end Rockoholic was actually a fun and, at times, hilarious read.

While Jody wasn't my favorite character, she was a little too stupid and reckless for my taste, I could also relate to her love for The Regulators. I could 100% relate as she cried over her concert tickets, got in line for the show at 5 am, and made a fool of herself in front of Jackson by offering him her melted candy bar. I couldn't stop laughing at some of her antics and by the end of the novel I was actually rooting for her.

Jackson was a total ass but by the end of the novel I was even rooting for him too a little bit. My favorite character by far had to be Mac, the voice of reason. It was obvious that he cared about Jody and his dedication to her really shone through during the novel. One of my favorite parts was the growth of the characters during the novel, each of them changed in their own way and discovered something about themselves, an aspect I definitely wasn't expecting from this novel.

While the complete unrealness of the novel almost scared me off a few times (what rockstar would want to stay in a fangirl's basement even if he really did want to be out of the limelight?) I pushed through and the ending was actually pretty cute and satisfying. While the ending did leave a few questions hanging I liked how Skuse didn't completely wrap up the story, leaving us to wonder a little bit about what's really going on. It worked really well for the story and made a more satisfying ending than a defined answer would have been.

Readers who don't have the same appreciation of music may find this novel tedious and annoying but for fans of YA who don't mind the out there story line will probably have a good laugh over Jody and her antics. Not the best novel ever written, but fun all the same!

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment