Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Review: Alpha & Omega #3: Fair Game

Title: Alpha & Omega #3: Fair Game

Author: Patricia Briggs

Date of Publication: March 6, 2012

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: It is said that opposites attract. And in the case of werewolves Anna Latham and Charles Cornick, they mate. The son—and enforcer—of the leader of the North American werewolves, Charles is a dominant Alpha. While Anna, an Omega, has the rare ability to calm others of her kind.

When the FBI requests the pack’s help on a local serial-killer case, Charles and Anna are sent to Boston to join the investigation. It soon becomes clear that someone is targeting the preternatural. And now Anna and Charles have put themselves right in the killer’s sights…

My Review: 

Briggs really hit her stride in the Alpha & Omega series with Fair Game. Despite the slow beginning this novel was the perfect blend of romance, action, and character development, all coming together to create one fantastic read. With developed characters, a beautiful romance, and a great story Fair Game turned out to be one of my favorites in the Alpha & Omega series.

I loved being able to see more of the fae and witches in this novel. Most of the other books in the Alpha & Omega series have focused solely on the werewolves but this novel opened up the door to other preternatural creatures. I think that having such a diverse cast of characters was one of the stronger points of this novel that other books in the series didn't have. Not only did Fair Game have a cast of delightfully quirky supernatural creatures but it also involved human FBI members, which made the switching point of views fascinating  I loved being able to see Charles and Anna from a human perspective.

Anna has changed so much since the beginning of the series. She's slowly started to develop into a strong character as she begins to realize her worth and refuses to allow others to push her around. In this novel Charles's and Anna's relationship goes through some rough spots and I loved seeing her take charge of the situation and start to rely on herself. Charles is one of my favorite characters, I just love reading about him and I always adore the sections in his point of view. This novel was especially interesting when it came to Charles, showing that he isn't the monster everyone (including himself) makes him out to be.

I much preferred the Boston setting over the Seattle one. In the previous novel I hadn't really enjoyed the setting or the foreign werewolves. However the stronger plot and the fantastic setting made me really enjoy this novel. Briggs has truly mastered having the perfect blend of action and romance. One of my favorite things about Briggs is that while she doesn't have a huge amount of romantic scenes in her novels she always makes the ones she does have count. No awkward writing or passionless moments, the romance got my heart pounding and kept me turning pages.

Fair Game is undoubtedly one of the stronger novels in the Alpha & Omega series. I absolutely adore Briggs's writing and while this series isn't as fantastic as Mercy Thompson it's still a wonderful read. I highly recommend this series and everything else written by Patrica Briggs!

5/5

1 comment:

  1. I keep coming back to the Alpha & Omega series, but have yet to pick up the first book. I may just have to bump this up on my list! I enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete