Monday, June 3, 2013

Review: Unearthly #3: Boundless

Title: Unearthly #3: Boundless

Author: Cynthia Hand

Date of Publication: January 22, 2013

Formats Available: Hardcover, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.

My Review: 

After how disappointed I was by Hallowed I was a bit nervous to start Boundless, I had a feeling that this one would have a fantastic finish but I wasn't 100% sure how everything would turn out. Thankfully Boundless ended up being quite possibly my favorite book in the entire Unearthly series and most definitely made up for all the set up that happened in the second novel.

One of the most surprising parts of Boundless was how much I started to really like Christian. For most of the first and second books I was really annoyed by him and Clara's indecisiveness between him and Tucker. Since he was on the losing side of the love triangle (and really, we all knew it) I had no interest in him or reading anything about him. However, in this novel I really enjoyed learning more about his personality and watching him interact with Clara.

On the flip side since this novel had so much Christian there wasn't much Tucker and by the end of the novel I felt like I hardly knew who he was anymore. I did love Clara's random encounters with Tucker when she finds herself constantly teleporting to his barn, which were hilariously awkward, but other than that we didn't get to see much of Tucker. Even though epilogue ties up his story I just wish that there had been a little bit more about him.

Boundless definitely ended on a high note. Full of completely unexpected plot twists (Hand is so good at them!) and plenty of action this novel undoubtedly made up for how lackluster the second novel was. I loved being able to see both heaven and hell in this novel as well as the conclusion of the story with Samjeeza and the black wings. The college setting added a great new dynamic to the story and seeing the characters in a whole new setting put a whole new spin on the series.

All in all I would say that the Unearthly series is definitely an above average YA angel series. I ended up enjoying these much more than I thought I would, and other than the second one, they were all fun and exciting stories. I definitely recommend this one!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment