Friday, June 7, 2013

Review: The Body Finder #4: Dead Silence

Title: The Body Finder #4: Dead Silence

Author: Kimberly Derting

Date of Publication: April 16, 2013

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Violet thought she’d made peace with her unique ability to sense the echoes of the dead and the imprints that cling to their killers…that is until she acquired an imprint of her own. Forced to carry a reminder of the horrible events of her kidnapping, Violet is more determined than ever to lead a normal life. However, the people who run the special investigative team Violet works for have no intention of letting her go.

When someone close to Violet becomes a suspect in a horrific murder, she finds herself pulled into a deadly hunt for a madman with an army of devoted followers. Violet has survived dangerous situations before, but she quickly discovers that protecting those closest to her is far more difficult than protecting herself.

My Review:

I've always had a few mixed feelings about the Body Finder series. Overall I like it but I find myself disliking it a bit more with each book, not enough to make me quit the series but enough to make me roll my eyes or groan in annoyance at a few scenes (mostly regarding Chelsea, I'm sorry but I just can't stand her character). Despite it all Derting does know how to write a good mystery and in the end I always end up liking the excitement and action of the murder mystery.

One of my least favorite things about mysteries is meddling main characters, however the Body Finder is amazing in that Violet never seems to be sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong. Derting has a way of making Violet fit into the story and her unique ability to sense the dead makes the story work in her favor instead of throwing her into a mystery that she needs to push herself into. Even though I'm not really a big fan of the team Violet is a part of (I preferred the mysteries before she was a part of them) it adds even more reason for her to be hanging around and is an interesting dynamic to the plot.

Dead Silence provided some much needed back story to Violets abilities. Even though I wasn't exactly enchanted by Violet's grandmothers diaries I was interested to learn more about the group Violet works with and who or what is really orchestrating everything they do. Despite rumors that this was the last novel in the series I sincerely doubt it after the revelations about Mr. Lee and the rest of the team and Violets threats toward the end. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this all pans out.

My biggest disappointment in this novel was the relationship between Violet and Jay. Sure, they're a cute couple and yeah, I like them together but their relationship feels dead. Even though I want them to work there just isn't any magic happening between them, not anymore anyway. Derting had plenty of chances to really heat things up between them but in the end she just let their interactions fall flat. By the end of the novel I was rooting for Rafe just because he provided a more interesting story.

Even though I was a little frustrated by the characters in this installment I adored the mystery. Derting really has something good going on with the plots of her novels and that's always what makes me like them. Even though the romance is definitely lacking I would definitely recommend this series on the basis of the mystery!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment