Monday, June 10, 2013

Review: The Lunar Chronicles #2: Scarlet

Title: The Lunar Chronicles #2: Scarlet

Author: Melissa Meyer

Date of Publication: February 5, 2013

Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

My Review: 

After the cliffhanger ending in Cinder, I was absolutely breathless for this novel to come out. What I hadn't expected was this novel to include a point of view from a completely new character. Initially I was pretty disappointed, I didn't want to read about a new character and I just didn't see how adding a new character into the story would make sense. However Meyer pulled it off beautifully and I ended up loving Scarlet even more than I loved Cinder!

Even though I didn't think I would, I absolutely loved Scarlet (the character), with her tough girl personality and her stunningly adorable romance with Wolf. I fell more and more in love with her the more I read and honestly started to prefer her parts of the story over Cinder's. Even though I ended up liking Scarlet more I loved watching how Cinder's story and Scarlet's story slowly converged and the ties between them started to grow more and more obvious. Scarlet provides a lot of back story to Cinder's life and reveals why she couldn't remember anything about being a child, so much information about Cinder's past was revealed in this novel I can't wait to see what she does with this information in the next novel!

By far my favorite new character was Thorne. Half the time I found myself laughing out loud at his arrogant comments and hilarious personality. Cinder was a perfect counterpart for him, her serious and no-nonsense attitude made Thorne the perfect comic relief to lighten the mood. I sincerely hope Thorne plays a bigger role in future novels and develops his own love interest because I just know that I would absolutely love a book with him in a leading role.

Unlike Cinder, Scarlet was told from multiple points of view. Switching from not only Cinder and Scarlet but from Kai to Queen Levana, there were a lot of characters to keep straight. Honestly I really liked the changing perspectives and being able to see the situation from so many points of view. Meyer does such an amazing job with her fairy tale re-tellings, I'm not usually one for re-tellings but she does such a fantastic job taking the original story and then putting her own unique twist on it.

After how wonderful Scarlet was I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on the next book! I can't wait to see more of the futuristic and dystopian landscape Meyer has created and watch the conflict with Queen Levana come to a head. A fantastic addition to the series fans of the first novel will absolutely not be disappointed.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment