Monday, June 17, 2013

Review: Georgina Kincaid #1: Succubus Blues

Title: Georgina Kincaid #1: Succubus Blues

Author: Richelle Mead

Date of Publication: March 1, 2007

Formats Available: Paperback, E-Book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: When it comes to jobs in hell, being a succubus seems pretty glamorous. A girl can be anything she wants, the wardrobe is killer, and mortal men will do anything just for a touch. Granted, they often pay with their souls, but why get technical?
But Seattle succubus Georgina Kincaid's life is far less exotic. At least there's her day job at a local bookstore--free books; all the white chocolate mochas she can drink; and easy access to bestselling, sexy writer, Seth Mortensen, aka He Whom She Would Give Anything to Touch but Can't.

But dreaming about Seth will have to wait. Something wicked is at work in Seattle's demon underground. And for once, all of her hot charms and drop-dead one-liners won't help because Georgina's about to discover there are some creatures out there that both heaven and hell want to deny. . .

My Review:

I am a HUGE fan of Richelle Mead; I've followed her Vampire Academy and then Bloodlines series ever since the first novels came out so I don't know why it took me so long to finally get around to reading Georgina Kincaid series. Mead is a fantastic author and even though I was a little wary since that last adult book I read by her wasn't what I was expecting, this novel reminded me of how much I loved Mead in the first place. This novel was much better than I expected it to be and left me eager to read the rest of the series and get back into reading books by one of my favorite authors!

I'm not a fan of skanky main characters that have shallow relationships or a casual view toward sex, so initially I wasn't quite sure how I would feel about this novel. With the main character as a succubus this novel had the potential to be really great or really bad. However, I can't believe I ever doubted Mead, she was able to make Georgina into someone I could connect to and respect, even though she still had to do what she needed to do to survive as a succubus. I think that learning more about Georgina's past and her reasoning behind becoming a succubus made Georgina more relatable and made me respect her a lot more than I would have otherwise.

By far one of my favorite characters was Seth. Quiet and a little awkward he was the perfect contrast to Georgina and her bold and charismatic personality. Mead is fantastic at creating love interests that perfectly suit the main character, each of them has always been completely different but at the same time I've loved them all. I wasn't a big fan of the love triangle, but thankfully it was resolved by the end of the novel and hopefully the next novel has more in store for Seth and Georgina.

The whole mystery aspect of the plot was interesting even though it was pretty predictable. Even though it was a bit transparent the plot still did an excellent job introducing the setting and the characters. I loved being able to be introduced to Georgina and her friends and get a look at Georgina's personality. She's sassy and fun and her hilarious comments had me laughing out loud, especially when Seth was involved. With an ending that left me wanting more I definitely loved this book way more than I thought I would, it's not as good as some of her YA stuff but it was still a joy to read.

Succubus Blues is another fantastic novel by Mead, maybe not her absolute best but wonderful nonetheless. Fans of Richelle Mead will most definitely not be disappointed and those just venturing into her novels will no doubt be hungry for more. Mead is one of the best paranormal romance authors out there and I would always recommend one of her novels!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment