Monday, July 8, 2013

Jaz Parks #2: Another One Bites the Dust

Title: Jaz Parks #2: Another One Bites the Dust

Author: Jennifer Rardin

Date of Publication: December 12, 2007

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Jaz Parks has enough trouble in her personal life. What she doesn't need is more trouble with her vampire boss and another mission. This time she has to retrieve a vital piece of biotechnology by killing the maniac who stole it: an ancient Chinese vamp. Their cover in this mission: professional entertainers at the Corpus Christi's Winter Festival.

The crew's all here: a psychic, a techno-wizard, a singing vampire, a juggling PI, and Jaz. Holy crap in a bottomless well, Jaz is going to bellydance. It's definitely, probably, quite possibly going to be the end of the world as we know it.

My Reveiw:

I had liked the first book in the Jaz Parks series; it was fun, it was entertaining, and it had a good plot. Solidly a four star novel I was excited to read the next one but I wasn't necessarily jumping out of my seat in excitement. When I got my hands on Another One Bites the Dust I was expecting another great read, but still a four star one. However, about half way through when I found myself desperate to keep reading even though it was past one in the morning I knew I was going to like this novel much more than I had been anticipating.

First off, I love Jaz. She's tough, she's funny, and she's a badass heroine; all without acting like an arrogant jerk (most of the time anyway)! With her growing supernatural abilities and her growing acceptance of her dark past Jaz grew as a character a lot in this novel. Likewise her relationship with Vayl grew quite a bit too, especially after she started having dreams about her past that often ended with her waking up about to kill herself. As her dreams continued Vayl quickly became more protective of her and his feelings for her started to surface.

The sexual tension between Jaz and Vayl in this novel made me want to scream in excitement just as much as it made me want to scream in frustration. With hints of romance thrown in here and there I kept waiting for something major to happen between them the entire novel. Vayl's feelings for Jaz become very apparent in this novel while Jaz continues to argue with herself over what she feels. One of the biggest reasons I can't wait to read the next novel is because I just know that something is going to happen between them and I'm desperate to find out what it is!

With the whole cast of quirky characters all trapped on a RV together there was plenty of humorous drama between Bergman and Cassandra as well as some jealousy stirring between Vayl and Cole. I loved that Bergman got a bigger role in this novel, I love reading about his inventions and his paranoid personality and love for his creations always makes me crack a smile. Throughout the novel I found myself laughing out loud at some of the conversations between characters, most of the comments coming mostly from Vayl, he's such a serious character that whenever Rardin is able to integrate humor into his dialogue it's all the more hilarious because of his personality.

Not only was the character development and interactions fantastic but I loved the plot of this novel. The circus like atmosphere was fun to read about and made for the perfect setting. With a band of evil acrobats, some religious protesters, and, of course, Jaz and her friends there was no end to the clashing opinions and action filled moments. Rardin really knows how to pack a punch and the action scenes are always intense and heart stopping.

By the time I finished this novel there was no doubt in my mind that I absolutely adored it. Full of all thing things I love most this novel blew me away with its fantastic character development and action packed plot. I highly recommend this novel to fans of urban fantasy and intrigue.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment