Friday, September 6, 2013

Review: Supernaturally Kissed

Title: Frostbite #1: Supernaturally Kissed

Author: Stacey Kennedy

Date of Publication: January 5, 2012

Buy This BookAmazon

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Synopsis: Ghosts harass and annoy Tess to save their souls. Sometimes she helps them. Other times she ignores them. But one ghost will give her no choice. Kipp, a former cop with the Memphis Police Department, will stop at nothing to gain her help, including using his ghostly charms to seduce her.

Tess must help solve the five-year-old cold case of Hannah Reid’s disappearance, because solving the case will save Kipp. But a bigger problem presents itself. Tess is falling in love with a ghost. Now she must decide. Keep Kipp forever, or find the killer.

My Review:

Supernaturally Kissed was one of the novels I was really looking forward to reading when I got my Kindle. Even though I was expecting it to be a little more serious this story turned out to be a really fun read. After I stopped thinking about all the things I wished the story had and started thinking about all the good things about it, I found myself enjoying this one more than I thought I would at the beginning.

Tess was a super fun character, she was sassy and funny and I loved reading about her. I will admit that she was a little shallow at times but in a way that was almost a part of her charm. She wasn't supposed to be an intelligent character and that was part of what made the story so mindlessly entertaining. The romance between her and Kipp was super cute and I can't wait to see where it goes, especially with Kipp as a ghost.

Despite being a little on the predictable side Supernaturally Kissed turned out to be a highly entertaining read. I absolutely loved the mystery aspect of the story and even though parts of it were a little obvious it was still super fun. I'm generally not a huge fan of mystery novels because I don't like meddling characters, however Kennedy seamlessly integrated Tess into the mystery without making it feel like she was butting in where she wasn't welcome.

My only complaint with this novel was Tess's best friend Caley. For some reason she just rubbed me the wrong way, maybe it was her brash personality or maybe it was just because she took away from Tess's interactions with Kipp but either way I just couldn't stand her. The other thing I didn't like was how many loose ends this novel left me with, I know that there are more books in the series but I just felt like the novel ended without answering a lot of questions that the book presented me with.

Overall I would recommend Supernaturally Kissed to readers looking for a fun mystery/paranormal read with plenty of romance thrown in. Even though it's far from an intellectual read it's fun in its own way and instead of wishing for something more it's fun to enjoy it for what it is; a cute love story with a little mystery thrown in.

4/5

3 comments: