Monday, October 14, 2013

Review: Lightpoints

Title: Lightpoints

Author: Peter Kassan

Date of Publication: May 19, 2013

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: What if you suddenly discovered you had a sense-and powers-that almost no one else in the world did? When Amanda Lindner Nichols, a 24-year-old graphic artist living with her husband in Queens, New York, is revived from a near-death experience, she discovers she perceives everyone around her as points of light-but not with her eyes. She soon learns she can not only perceive the life energy of others, but she can give and take it. With the help of others like her, she brings her husband Chris to the brink of death and back to bestow on him the same remarkable faculty, and they're the happiest they've been. But not for long. All over the world, people who've been revived from their own near-death experience at just the right moment discover themselves with these same unusual powers. They find ways to use them-some for good and some for evil. When Amanda and Chris encounter a ruthless group of gangsters with the same faculty, tragedy follows-and Amanda faces the greatest challenge of her life.

My Review:

Lightpoints was one of those novels that's hard to review in the fact that it presented a fascinating idea, it just wasn't executed properly. I loved the idea of lightpoints and near death experiences being related and how those two elements worked together. However, dull writing and two dimensional characters brought the story down from how great it could have been.

I really did love the idea behind the novel; original and exciting there were a lot of places Kassan could have gone with the idea. Kassan did a great job explaining each of the characters near death experiences (NDE's) and demonstrating the impact such experiences had on the characters lives. While I was fascinated in the beginning I started to loose interest as the novel went on, I found myself frustrated with Chris's desire to see the lightpoints and the ending just felt a little too easy.

Amanda and Chris were average characters, there wasn't anything that really stood out to me but there wasn't anything that really made me hate them either. Even though I didn't support it, I could understand why Chris also wanted to see the lightpoints and why he thought it was important. I just didn't support why a person would want to go through multiple near death experiences for the mere experience of seeing lightpoints, no matter how much it would impact a relationship.

The largest reason I had a hard time getting into this novel was the writing. Lifeless and bland I felt highly disconnected from the characters and the plot because the writing just didn't pull me in the way it was supposed to. Also the constantly changing perspectives, to characters who could see the lightpoints but had no value to the story, was frustrating. I'll admit, some of the other characters were interesting to read about but, they just didn't help the story move forward. Throughout the novel I was waiting for all the characters to finally start coming together and have a plot start emerging, but that never really happened.

Overall Lightpoints presented an interesting idea but it just wasn't fleshed out all the way. With a little editing Lightpoints could be a great novel, it just wasn't my cup of tea this time around.

2/5

*I received a copy of this novel from the author in exchange for a honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment