Thursday, December 19, 2013

Review: Daughter of Sherwood

Title: The Guardians of Sherwood Trilogy #1: Daughter of Sherwood

Author: Laura Strickland

Date of Publication: July 23rd, 2013

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Raised in the kitchens of Nottingham Castle, Wren has no idea she is the daughter of the legendary Robin Hood until she is summoned to Sherwood Forest. Since Robin's death many years before, the resistance against Norman tyranny has been upheld by a magical triad, but now one of the guardians has died. With two young men, Sparrow and Martin, Wren must form a new triad with a bond strong enough to defend Sherwood's magic. To one of them, she will also give her heart.

From the moment Wren bursts into his life, Sparrow loves her. But he knows she may choose his lifelong rival, Martin, as her mate. Martin wants Wren also, but Sparrow fears Martin is driven not by love but by ambition. When Martin is captured and held at Nottingham Castle, will the conflict between love and duty destroy the triad?

My Review:

From page one I was instantly drawn into Daughter of Sherwood. I've never read a book based on the legend of Robin Hood before and to be honest I don't know much about the legend at all. Though it wasn't perfect Daughter of Sherwood was a great novel and overall I really enjoyed reading it.

Though I'm not a big fan of love triangles Strickland handled this one fairly well. It seemed a little obvious to me from the beginning who Wren was going to choose, so I got a little annoyed with all the back and forth, but it worked for the story and made things interesting. Though most of the plot centered on the love triangle between Wren, Sparrow, and Martin but there was just enough action to make things exciting every now and again and I toward the end I liked that there was more of a plot than simply romance.

I enjoyed reading about the characters; Wren was a good female lead though she was a bit unremarkable. Both Sparrow and Martin were well developed and interesting to read about. They were such opposites in personality that it made for some interesting character dynamics and watching them each interact with Wren in completely different ways was fascinating. Not only were the main characters interesting to read about but I was intrigued by the story about Lil and the previous triad. Though I was a little confused about some of the character relationships and how the triad came to be and how one became a part of it, the idea was a fascinating one and I really liked reading about it.

My only complaint with the novel was the fact that I felt like I needed a little more of an introduction to the legend of Robin Hood to understand parts of the story. Aside from the basics I didn't know, and still don't know, much about Robin Hood.  Even though I understood the story I felt like I was missing something when it came to character relationships. Additionally, I never had a clear understanding of what the triad was all about, I'm not sure if it was a part of the original legend or if Strickland added it enhance the story, but I often found myself a bit confused. I understood that Wren had to choose either Sparrow or Martin to keep the magic of Sherwood alive but I didn't understand how her choice impacted the magic or why Sherwood needed magic in the first place. Maybe if I had known more about Robin Hood it would have helped but I just felt a little lost.

Other than that Daughter of Sherwood was a fun read and I really liked Strickland's writing style. I was drawn into the story from page one and, despite having a little trouble since I didn't know much about Robin Hood, I was still able to enjoy the story. Fans of Robin Hood will no doubt enjoy this story and be eager for the rest of the series!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment