Thursday, January 9, 2014

Review: The Curse Keepers

Title: The Curse Keepers

Author: Denise Grover Swank

Date of Publication: November 19, 2013

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: The wall between our world and that of vengeful spirits has protected humanity for more than 400 years. It’s about to come crashing down.
Ellie Lancaster has lived her whole life by the site of the mysterious Lost Colony of Roanoke, the Virginia settlement that vanished without a trace around 1590. Only the descendants of the two men who banished the spirits of an enemy tribe from the material realm know what really happened to the colony. Ellie is one of those descendants—a Curse Keeper. Her father took pains to teach her what he knew of the curse and the responsibilities of its guardians. He taught her that if the two Curse Keepers ever meet, the curse will be lifted, the gate will open, and the raging Native American spirits will be unleashed to seek their revenge.

Despite her father’s seriousness, Ellie has always taken the legend for a harmless fairy tale. Until she meets the darkly handsome, but downright infuriating, Collin Dailey and realizes everything she was told is true. For when they meet, it’s like the air is sucked from the room. Collin’s presence is electrifying… and it’s not just attraction Ellie feels, but the inexorable pull toward her destiny. The prophecy is real, and now Ellie and Collin must battle supernatural forces and their loathing—and passion—for each other to set things right.

The Curse Keepers are all that stand between the world and its destruction.

My Review:

When I was given the chance to read this novel through NetGalley I was thrilled. I've always been interested in the colony of Roanoke, and paired with my love of paranormal novels I knew this was going to be a good one. Even though I knew I would like it I hadn't been expecting to get as sucked into the story as I did. Once I started this novel it was impossible for me to put it down until I was finished (and now I'm dying to get my hands on more books by Swank)!

First of all, Swank did a fantastic job tying history and the paranormal together. I've always been fascinated by the story of Roanoke and I love the twist Swank included with the idea of Native American ghosts playing a part in the disappearance of the colony. The Native American spirits and the idea of the gate between our world and the world of the spirits was a fascinating one and I loved the idea of the two Curse Keepers, the only people who have the power to close the gate once it's been opened. The spirits Swank created were menacing and the more power they gained the more frightening they became.

The relationship between Ellie and Collin really made this book worth reading. I love how they went from hating each other, to working together, to eventually falling in love. Collin was arrogant and cocky, with just enough of a bad boy vibe to make me like him even though he sometimes made me want to scream. Ellie was the perfect match for him, she didn't take no for an answer and didn't let him get away with anything. The development of their relationship moved at the prefect pace, fast enough that I didn't get bored but slow enough for it to be believable. After the ending of this novel I'm dying to see where their relationship goes and how it's going to change.

Cliffhanger endings drive me insane but I love them at the same time. While The Curse Keepers didn't have a terrible one it left me wondering just enough to make me impatient for the sequel but not so much that I couldn't take it. The ending of the novel really threw me for a loop and I loved every second of the unexpected twists and turns. Ellie and Collin have gone through a lot and even though I don't know all the reasoning behind their actions (yet!) I can tell that there is a lot of character development for them yet to come!

With a startling ending, and the promise of more to come, the end of this novel left me eager for the sequel. Fans of paranormal romance, as well as those with an interest in history, will no doubt fall in love with this novel. I'm excited to see where the series goes and I can't wait to read more!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment