Sunday, July 27, 2014

Review: Leashing the Tempest

Title: Arcadia Bell #2.5: Leashing the Tempest

Author: Jenn Bennett

Date of Publication: December 17, 2012

Formats Available: E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Dating a demon, defeating evil, running a tiki bar: Arcadia Bell is a great occult mage in many respects. But then there’s the challenge of her boyfriend’s precocious teenage son…

Arcadia "Cady" Bell may have saved the Hellfire Club’s children from a local bogeyman, but she and her Earthbound demon boyfriend, Lon Butler, now face a more disturbing problem: his teenage son’s new demonic abilities. Jupe Butler can persuade you to do anything—or so he thinks. To test the limits of his newfound power, Cady invites the co-owner of Tambuku Tiki Lounge to be the teen’s guinea pig during an afternoon boat cruise. But when an angry storm whips the Pacific into a frenzy and Jupe puts them all in serious danger, will Cady's magick trump a teenager’s excess confidence?

My Review: 

I think I end up liking this series more and more with every book I read! When I started this series I wasn't particularly impressed but the more I read the more I end up loving Cady and her friends and enjoying the original and exciting plots Bennett creates.

This novella started off hilarious; with Captain Christie and his lewd comments and Cady putting up with none of it, I was smiling after the first few pages. I just love the cast of characters in this series, each of them is so wonderfully developed and unique that it's impossible to not love each of them. Lon's gruff demeanor, Kar Yee's screw you attitude, and Jupe's happy go lucky personality all came together to make hilarious character interactions and kept me smiling throughout the short novella.

What I loved most was that Bennett was able to create perfectly developed and interesting plot in just 60 pages. I was sucked in by the story and even though it was short everything was wrapped up by the end and I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. Bennett included just enough humor, action, and romance that I felt as though I read a whole novel, instead of just a short story. Exciting and fun to read I think Leashing the Tempest has been my favorite in the series so far!

A fun novella, Leashing the Tempest was much better than I was expecting. Bennett is really on to something here and I'm super excited to see where the rest of this series leads. I can't wait for more Cady and her friends in the future!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment