Thursday, October 30, 2014

Review: The Winter Long

the winter longTitle: October Daye #8: The Winter Long

Author: Seanan McGuire

Date of Publication: September 2, 2014

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Toby thought she understood her own past; she thought she knew the score.

She was wrong.

It's time to learn the truth.

My Review: 

I can't believe I've been following this series for over two years now and this series is still just as amazing as it was when I read the first one. Instead of declining over time this series is still going strong and I'm so excited to get my hands on the next book in the series, especially after what happened at the very end. McGuire is truly a genius at creating engaging plots and non-stop action and every time I pick up a book by her I find it impossible to put it down until I'm done.

The thing that made this book absolutely amazing was finally getting answers to all the questions I had all the way from book one. The first book in the series left a lot of unanswered questions that sort of fell to the background throughout the constant adventure and excitement of the 6 books in between, however McGuire finally came back to the very beginning with this novel to answer the questions we've been wondering in the back of our minds this whole time. McGuire dropped so many bombshells in this book, there was one moment when I couldn't help but gasp aloud at some of the things about Toby's past that were finally being revealed. Though I can't give anything away this novel was definitely full of the unexpected twists and turns we've all come to expect from McGuire.

Another thing I loved about this novel was the re-connection of the relationship between Toby and Tybalt. In the last book, even though they had their moments, I didn't feel the connection between them that I felt in previous books. I'm happy to say that the ties between them have been renewed and I was able to feel the love and devotion between them, in this novel especially Tybalt proved his dedication to Toby again and again and feeling the ties between them made me smile. The end of this novel left things between them in a really good place and I'm eager to see how everything works out for them in the future, especially after what Tybalt says at the very end.

Even though this novel answers so many questions I had it also brings up a whole set of new ones. The Winter Long was no doubt a turning point in the series and a whole new set of changes and challenges lies in store for Toby in the next few books. I can't wait to see what McGuire has in mind for the rest of the series and I know that whatever it is, it's going to be amazing. There's no shortage of action in these novels and even though they're a little light on the romance side everything just works, McGuire knows how to write a good story and she never disappoints!

The October Daye series is no doubt one of the best (if not the best) series in paranormal romance and urban fantasy. McGuires talent for writing stories with non-stop action and unique and lovable characters makes this series impossible to put down. I'm already dying to get my hands on the next book and I'm not sure if I can stand another year long wait!

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment