Thursday, November 6, 2014

Review: Silence of the Wolf

Title: Silence of the Wolf

Author: Terry Spear

Date of Publication: March 4, 2014

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This BookAmazon

Synopsis: Gray werewolf Tom Silver is determined to find the wolves who have been attacking local livestock. While tracking the pack through the Rockies, a blizzard forces him into a remote cabin where he hears a plane crash nearby.

When he discovers the sole survivor is a beautiful female werewolf/coyote shifter mix, bound as a prisoner, he knows it's his duty to hide her. Now, they are both at risk as a search ensues for the missing prisoner.

Will Tom be able to protect this beautiful stranger while tracking down the wolves responsible for terrorizing the local livestock?
My Review:

Silence of the Wolf is one of those books that I wasn't really expecting to be amazing but I was expecting just a little more than I got. I felt like this book was just thrown together, without a lot of thought given to the story (which the author contradicted herself on) or to the characters. Though it started off well enough, the story progressively got more and more frustrating, especially on the character front.

The number one thing that drove me absolutely insane was Tom; I absolutely could not stand him. Every time I turned a page he was pulling some jerk move that made me hate him even more. He was so presumptuous and full of himself that watching him try to flirt with Elizabeth made me want to scream and his "smooth" lines made me cringe. Not only that but he didn't even have much of a personality outside of his arrogant attitude, so there was absolutely nothing to redeem him. On the other hand Tom's love interest, Elizabeth,  was likable enough, but that was only because her personality was so flat there wasn't much to dislike.

Not only were the characters awful but the romance was as well. Reading the steamy scenes between Elizabeth and Tom made me shudder and the way their relationship played out moved way to fast for me to appreciate any of it. I couldn't feel any sort of attraction between them and their casual attitude toward their commitment to each other made me question their relationship even more. Plus that whole business of someone taking a video of them kissing and then selling it just weirded me out, I honestly didn't feel the same about anyone after that.

But it wasn't all bad. Even though there were so many things I didn't like about this book it was still sort of entertaining. The little mystery about the murders of Elizabeth's parents and the drama at the end of the book were both pretty good and honestly those were the two things that kept me going throughout this novel. I was genuinely interested to see how those two plot lines would turn out, it was just the characters and the romance that ruined it all. The mystery itself was good, too bad everything else just wasn't.

Even though I've heard a lot of good things about Spear I just wasn't impressed by this novel, however I am willing to give her a second shot in the future. This time though I'm going to have to say that I just don't recommend this one.

2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment