Saturday, August 24, 2013

Review: Apocalyptic Moon

apocalyptic moonTitle: Apocalyptic Moon

Author: Eva Gordon

Date of Publication: January 24, 2013

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Dr. Dora Adler's life has been in disarray since the beginning of the zombie apocalypse, but when she gets bitten by one of the undead, her whole world is turned upside down. Held captive in a secret underground lab, the tall, muscular hunk in the next cell is her only hope for salvation. Unfortunately, he claims to be a werewolf. Yeah, and she's supposedly a witch.

Dirk Gunderson is an alpha Arbor pack werewolf. Captured and collared, he's sold to the zombie lab in hopes his blood serum can create a vaccine. He needs to escape, but not without the hot little brunette witch.

In the midst of enemy werewolves and the hordes of undead, Dirk and Dora's sexual tension ignites a blaze hotter than the desert highway. Along their journey, they battle the inevitable: a werewolf must never take a witch as a mate.

My Review:

Apocalyptic Moon is one of those novels that starts off a little rough but once the story gets good it gets good. As soon as the action started to pick up and Dirk made an appearance I found myself completely entranced by this novel, unable to stop reading until I raced to the last page. Apocalyptic Moon is truly a diamond in the rough, the cheesy 80's looking cover hiding one of the best zombie novels that I've ever read.

Gordon does a absolutely fantastic job creating a zombie apocalypse; it's gory, its scary, it's terrifying. I've never been a particularly big fan of zombie novels but Gordon made the zombies intro true monsters, brainless, unthinking, and on the verge of taking over the world. Likewise Gordon did a great job creating the villains of the men holding Dora and Dirk captive, even though they played a smaller role in the novel they were just as well developed as both Dora and Dirk.

Even though I wasn't a huge fan of Dora and Dirks names (I just can't take anyone named Dora seriously after watching the cartoon so much as a kid), I was definitely a fan of their personalities. Dirk was a little rough around the edges and had a bit of a gritty attitude, but that was part of what made him so great. Gordon did a wonderful job developing his character and I absolutely loved how quickly he became protective of Dora. Even though I wasn't sure how I felt about her at first I ended up really liking Dora as well. Just like with Dirk, Gordon did an amazing job creating her personality. I loved how magic was incorporated into the novel and how Gordon managed to take character stereotypes and make them work for the characters instead of making the novel feel cheesy.

The romance between Dora and Dirk was also fantastic. They suited each other so perfectly and Gordon masterfully created just enough sexual tension between them in the beginning to keep me wondering when their relationship would really take off. I loved the steamy romance scenes alternating with the heart pounding action scenes and how Gordon included everything else in between. Even though there were a few slip ups here and there Apocalyptic Moon was a very well written novel and even though the beginning starts off a little rough Gordon quickly hits her stride.

I would highly, highly, highly recommend this novel to fans of zombie novels or paranormal novels in general. With plenty of romance, great characters, and a gory and terrifying take on zombies this novel had it all. Definitely one of the best zombie novels I've ever read and I can't wait to read more by Gordon!
5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment