Friday, August 23, 2013

Review: Deeper

deeperTitle: Deeper

Author: Blue Ashcroft

Date of Publication: August 3, 2013

Formats Available: E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

Synopsis: Rain Wilson isn’t ever going to love again.
It’s a promise she made the day her boyfriend died in a water park accident, one she still blames herself for. Now she’s a senior lifeguard in a new town with a new pool and she’s just going to keep her head down and everyone safe.

Until a mysterious guy follows her into the waves at the pre-season bonfire and kisses her senseless. It’s just one mistake, and Rain is determined to put it behind her, until the dark haired, blue eyed hottie turns out to be her new co-supervisor Knight Mcallister.

Knight is hot, tatted, and carrying baggage of his own. He’s not happy about having Rain for a co-supervisor, and he’s even less happy about his attraction to her.

But between lifeguard drama, hot underwater kisses, and a growing attraction between them that can’t be stopped, Knight and Rain are being pulled deeper into their pasts, and realizing that sometimes too much broken can make a relationship impossible.

Then again sometimes it’s the broken parts of us that fit together best.

My Review:

Deeper is one of those novels that started off a little rough but as soon as I got into the story I ended up absolutely loving it! One of my biggest pet peeves is characters instantly falling in love, and Deeper looked like it was about to start off that way. However, I couldn't have been more wrong! Despite my misgivings at the start of this novel I stuck it out and I'm glad I did, Deeper turned out to be one of my favorite New Adult novels so far!

My absolute favorite part of this novel was the water park setting. It was unique and fun, giving the novel a more original spin than it would have had otherwise. Ashcroft did a fantastic job with the world building, making me almost smell the chlorine and feel the water. Even though it's minor I also really loved the names of the characters, choosing the right name for a character is never an easy task and even though Knight and Rain are both difficult names to live up to their names ended up fitting their personalities perfectly.

Both Knight and Rain had terrible pasts and I think that's part of the reason I was able to take them both so seriously. I loved the changing perspectives and getting flashbacks into each of the character's pasts. Ashcroft doesn't come right out and say what happened, instead she hints at it through the flashbacks and the actions of the characters and slowly reveals their pasts over time. My other favorite part of the novel was the romance between Rain and Knight, it was so well written and beautifully done that my heart ached right along with them and by the end of the novel I was on the edge of my seat as Rain and Knight overcame their pasts and finally made it work.

One thing that always irritates me about realistic novels is how boring they get sometimes. When writers are restrained by reality there is only so much they can make happen, however Ashcroft did a fantastic job taking her setting and packing in as much action as she possibly could while still keeping it realistic. Between the flashbacks, constant action, and steamy romance I wasn't bored for a single second during this novel. Even though the story is short it was the perfect length for what Ashcroft was trying to do, I feel like if the novel had been any longer it would have dragged and made me appreciate it a lot less.

I would highly recommend Deeper to fans of realistic fiction and new adult. One of my favorite NA novels so far I was highly impressed and I'll definitely be first in line to check out anything else by Ashcroft!

4/5

*I received a copy of this novel from the author/publisher/publicist via Netgalley in exchange for a free and honest review and received no monetary compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment