Monday, February 24, 2014

Review: Disenchanted & Co.

Title: Disenchanted & Co.

Author: Lynn Viehl

Date of Publication: January 28, 2014

Formats Available: Paperback, E-book

Buy This Book: Amazon

SynopsisIn the Provincial Union of Victoriana, a steampunk America that lost the Revolutionary War, Charmian “Kit” Kittredge makes her living investigating crimes of magic. While Kit tries to avoid the nobs of high society, she follows mysteries wherever they lead.

Unlike most folks, Kit doesn’t believe in magic, but she can’t refuse to help Lady Diana Walsh, who claims a curse is viciously wounding her while she sleeps. As Kit investigates the Walsh family, she becomes convinced that the attacks are part of a more ominous plot—one that may involve the lady’s obnoxious husband.
Sleuthing in the city of Rumsen is difficult enough, but soon Kit must also skirt the unwanted attentions of a nefarious deathmage and the unwelcome scrutiny of the police chief inspector. Unwilling to surrender to either man’s passion for her, Kit struggles to remain independent as she draws closer to the heart of the mystery. For the truth promises to ruin her life—and turn Rumsen into a supernatural battleground from which no one will escape alive.

My Review:

I'd seen Lynn Viehl's name before but I'd never had the chance to read a novel by her, so when I was offered the chance to read Disenchanted & Co. I absolutely jumped at the chance! Full of magic and mystery, a dash of romance, and all set in a steampunk America, this novel had all the right elements to make it an absolutely amazing read.

Kit started off as a bit of a lackluster character. Sure, she was interesting enough with her investigation business and the mystery behind her parents and their involvement in magic, but her personality just didn't hold my interest. As the novel went on I began to warm up to her as she started interacting with the other characters. I absolutely adored the interactions between characters in this novel, with a sarcastic attitude and a group of interesting friends Kit really stood out where dialogue was involved. Along with her rejection of societies norms for women and her hilarious exchanges with Dredmore by the end of the novel there was no doubt that I was a fan of Kit.

Kit's interactions with Dredmore were what made her personality really shine. Sarcastic and bold she wasn't afraid to get on Dredmore's bad side and I think that was half the reason he liked her so much.  Though he played a relatively small part in the start of the novel I was pleased to find him appearing more and more often as the novel went on. I loved the banter between him and Kit and the sexual tension between them was driving me absolutely insane. I knew they were going to end up together but watching them get there was half the fun. After the twist at the end I'm eager to see how their relationship plays out and see where it's going to take them!

The plot was absolutely fascinating (but complicated!) and really threw me for a loop at the end. The novel starts off with a simple mystery involving a high society woman believing she's cursed and quickly turns into a plot involving Kit saving the world. I really liked the use of magic in the plot and even though I wasn't quite sure about the twist at the end I admit that it was so unexpected that it worked perfectly. The world Viehl created was an interesting one, but it was so detailed that there were times when I was a little confused by some of the aspects Viehl had invented. The glossary in the back was helpful but sometimes its a bit of the pain to be constantly flipping to the back for definitions. However, the world building was part of what made the novel as good as it was so I can't complain too much about it!

Overall Disenchanted & Co. was a really entertaining read despite starting off a little slow. I really loved the interactions between Kit and Dredmore and I'm so excited to see where they end up! Viehl did a great job creating a steampunk world with fantastic character interactions and I'm excited to get started on the sequel.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment